Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS starter motor advice needed

Chappo_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Ute V6 1996
Hi all, I need a new starter motor for my VS six cylinder auto. I found this one on ebay Holden Commodore VN VP VR VS VT VX VY V6 Starter Motor (eBay item 230529701163 end time 21-Feb-11 00:34:20 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
It is an after market type. I am wondering if anybody on here has any experience with these? Are they much different to the original Bosch? An auto electrician near me has the same after market one, but he wants $250 for it, the bloke on ebay is selling for $123 delivered.

Another auto electrician I called has a reco exchange for $200. I will have to call him back on Monday to check if it is a Bosch. When I called this morning, I didn’t know enough about this to ask, I learnt more as made more enquiries. I am wondering if a reconditioned Bosch for $200 would be better than an after market new one???

The wreckers have used for $85 with a three month warranty, but I am thinking even if I got one off a VY it is still around six years old.

Can anyone help with this?
Thanks, Chappo.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
GO WRECKERS MATE...much cheaper,ive had the same tharter m. im my vt 1997 berlina 14yrs ago the day i got it brand new from gmh...never had a rpob with my 14yo old starter...if u get 1 from the wreckers 2nd hand and it last you 5 more yrs you doing well
Hi all, I need a new starter motor for my VS six cylinder auto. I found this one on ebay Holden Commodore VN VP VR VS VT VX VY V6 Starter Motor (eBay item 230529701163 end time 21-Feb-11 00:34:20 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
It is an after market type. I am wondering if anybody on here has any experience with these? Are they much different to the original Bosch? An auto electrician near me has the same after market one, but he wants $250 for it, the bloke on ebay is selling for $123 delivered.

Another auto electrician I called has a reco exchange for $200. I will have to call him back on Monday to check if it is a Bosch. When I called this morning, I didn’t know enough about this to ask, I learnt more as made more enquiries. I am wondering if a reconditioned Bosch for $200 would be better than an after market new one???

The wreckers have used for $85 with a three month warranty, but I am thinking even if I got one off a VY it is still around six years old.

Thanks, Chappo.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
GO WRECKERS MATE...much cheaper,ive had the same tharter m. im my vt 1997 berlina 14yrs ago the day i got it brand new from gmh...never had a rpob with my 14yo old starter...if u get 1 from the wreckers 2nd hand and it last you 5 more yrs you doing well

Thanks, Chappo.

zelby11

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SCOOTER
Get the reco exchange one,they are actually like brand new,all the wiring and insides are new

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
I would go the reco unit.

I have seen new aftermarket units fail in under 2 years.

They may be new, but are made with sub standard parts IMO.

Chappo_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Ute V6 1996
Thanks for all the feedback on this. I went with the reconditioned Bosch one. I ended up getting it for $180. I fit it this afternoon, and the car starts easy now. I didn’t realise how bad the other one was until I fit this ‘new’ one.

The symptoms I had was it was slow to crank over for the first couple of cranks, and then it would sort of ‘free up’ and crank fast. It had been doing this for some years. It got really bad last week, and Friday, it wouldn’t turn over at all. So if you have these symptoms, you should get your starter motor checked.

I said I would do it ages ago, in this thread, http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/109427-starting.html
but I let it go until it failed. Lucky it was in the garage when it did.

Thanks again, Chappo.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
$180 installed? or did you do it yourself?
Thanks for all the feedback on this. I went with the reconditioned Bosch one. I ended up getting it for $180. I fit it this afternoon, and the car starts easy now. I didn’t realise how bad the other one was until I fit this ‘new’ one.

The symptoms I had was it was slow to crank over for the first couple of cranks, and then it would sort of ‘free up’ and crank fast. It had been doing this for some years. It got really bad last week, and Friday, it wouldn’t turn over at all. So if you have these symptoms, you should get your starter motor checked.

I said I would do it ages ago, in this thread, http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/109427-starting.html
but I let it go until it failed. Lucky it was in the garage when it did.

Thanks again, Chappo.