Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Starting Problem

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Hey Guys,
A quick query, my sister has a VS who of the last few months has had problems starting her car at various time either when it's hot or cold. When she jumps in and turns the key to start the car sometimes it will then other times you turn the key nothing at all. You can play around for minutes by turning the ignition off and trying again or turning the key around which doesn't usually help.

I don't believe it's the battery as the remote works from a good number of meters away.

I have a feeling it could be something to do with the immobiliser but not really playing around with one previously I am not entirely sure.

Here's the strange part, when you switch on the ignition and here a click where you see the CRS light appear on the instrument panel it starts but if the light doesn't come on well it won't start.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Cheers
Darren

D

death-from-above

First thing i would check would be the starter motor. Try starting the car and lightly tap the starter motor, if it starts when you tap it, you will need to get new brushes and your coil machined. I got it done on my VL for $70 and fitted it all myself. not a very hard job, altho it is fairly fiddly.

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Auto 128rwkw, VZ V6 Lumina wagon stock
My old VS did something similar, turned out to be a loose battery conection. Everything else would work, lights, radio, remote, horn, but no motor.
Check the positive and negative terminals are tight, could be something that simple, pissed me off for a few weeks i can tell ya

D

danon

Hi
Darren

My VS done the same thing, next time it happens try the spare key. I did and it worked straight away. The key was replaced and now it works great.

Regards
David
www.the-clockman.com

M

midas

For what its worth I'll give my theory, On the key should be a metal blob ubove where the key shaft is. If that is not touching the outer ring of the igniton barrel it may not start. This is if the other suggestions don't work. All I know is that this is a part of your immobiliser.

I hope this helps!

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
have you tried pushing the unlock button again or check the battery as stated before

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
its as midas said, n ill put money on it. that little metal knob that pokes out of the key isnt making good contact with the key reader, hence not starting the car. my old man had the exact same problem with his vs. we tried everything from putting a new battery in to giving the auto trans stick a bit of a knock. who knows, it may be the inhibitor switch telling the computer that the car isnt in neutral or park!
good luck!

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
sorry to drag it a bit off topic but does that mean if you have just the metal part of the key and try to start the car it wont start ? so you need the remote bit too?

T

t3zza

Simple fix people, I use to have the same thing with my VS... The way you solve it is just move the shifter.. The thing is the car won't start sometimes even though its in park. So put it into N or just play around there and it will get it going. I hear its a problem with the VS but that gets it going. THen you will find the prob won't be there for a while. One other thing if the car is parked on hills then that can make this problem occur a bit more... Cheers hope that helps a bit mate

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Cheers guys, I will have to checkout the battery connections, locking the doors again and opening them, also if it were the starter motor wouldn't you hear it trying to start if that were the case?

I have tried prising the metal ring around the lock out a bit to ensure its making good contact so I guess we could eliminate that.

I originally thought it was a problem with the neutral safety switch as I have had that happen on the VN once or twice before but that was one of the very first things I tried.

I would try a spare key, the only problem is she only has one key.