Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman 5.0 Donor for VH SL/X

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Given that when transplanting a newer engine into an older vehicle, the emissions must meet those of the original engine, not the older vehicle, will a carb set up achieve this requirement ?

Yep our rego requirements here @ SA is to just meet the emission of the original motor with the carby in older vehicle if you’re going from a 4/6 to 8cyl (non efi) which have the factory carby/canister and emissions lines to fuel tank/motor.

When you put a newer engine (younger age) rego wants you to match that engines emissions standards in the older car and being efi @ you need a carbon canister, fuel tank breathers to canister/tank and fuel filler neck for unleaded petrol only plus catalytic converters in exhaust for emission gas numbers.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Also if you put a carby/manifold on the later efi 304 block or do a 4 to 6 to v8 conversion into the older car that leigh has in SA you don't need to do a rego car inspection if your car has the factory 4 wheel disk brake, You just do the paperwork/rego for the new v8 engine change.

Most people probably won't pick up visually the small differences/change apart from the head port config between old 308 and 304 blocks, but the big elephant in the room would be the engine number/date code :D

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Thanks a ton guys, holy cow, this is really helpful stuff.

Gtrboyy, how did u solve the trans tunnel clearance? Did you trim/file the box or massage/cut the tunnel? I'm hoping to not have to chop too much stuff in this process.

Vin999, thanks for the tips on tailshaft and wiring - do you know anyone who can clear the vats stuff? And what's the process? Just supply ECU and money?
And yes re: fuel tank it's IRS so the straps will need a look at.. I wanted to go earlier donor like a VN to avoid some of these little quirks, but this whole car came up for $1k so it's too good not to buy o_O

I also spoke to vehicle standards briefly while I was at regency last month (bought a caravan from Vic) and the bloke was very helpful.

He said if I just slapped a 308 in the car from say, a VK, then all I need is to have the rear end changed from drum to disc, and then it's just an engine number inspection/signoff at regency.

I told him about the 304 plan and he went and spoke to a couple people.. came back and said that because I'm going to EFI, it's changing the aspiration so "they'll need to look over it" but when I said I'd prefer to avoid any engineering reqs, he was pretty chill and said "nah you won't need any certs for that engine swap".. I should've asked more but I'm pretty much assuming that the 304 swap will mean a tier 2(?) inspection.. which is fine as I'm planning to do this right and have a 100% roadworthy car anyway lol

And VC / Vin, I did look at swapping the top end over to carby as a possibility of expediting the rego process and just making paperwork smoother but yeh the price for some of those manifolds is steep for just a weekend cruiser that won't make more than 200hp anyway ;) Plus now I'll have an electronic trans, I have to go ECU/EFI

And as much as I love seeing a filter poking through a bonnet, I don't want to have to put a reverse cowl on it, and I cbf dealing with the boys in blue if I don't!

If I get it all running and I wanna spend a little more later, the Edelbrock low-rise with injectors and throttle-plate and filter would definitely be on the cards - keep it looking somewhat period correct and just old-skool cool!

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Yep our rego requirements here @ SA is to just meet the emission of the original motor with the carby in older vehicle if you’re going from a 4/6 to 8cyl (non efi) which have the factory carby/canister and emissions lines to fuel tank/motor.

When you put a newer engine (younger age) rego wants you to match that engines emissions standards in the older car and being efi @ you need a carbon canister, fuel tank breathers to canister/tank and fuel filler neck for unleaded petrol only plus catalytic converters in exhaust for emission gas numbers.
The law is an ass. Admittedly there are not very many cases like mine. I bought my vh into the country from across the ditch about 19 years ago. It did not have a charcoal canister, narrow neck fuel filler neck or a catalytic converter. The car was treated as a private import so they were not required. The only proviso was that if I sold the car they would have to be fitted. I have since done so even though I do not have as of yet have any plans to sell the car. The car has a vp 355 efi stroker motor fitted.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
SL/X have rear discs don't they?

I remember my vh sl/x wagon had rear discs + first factory car with hei & electric choke...that was a high tech daily for me in 90's haha

-Vs m/cyl + booster with vs calipers will work with vn/p 290mm discs & if yours has rear discs then you've got more than enough to pass....standard vh v8 was rear discs & double diaphram booster was all they had except some got 1" m/cyl
Do vt upgrade later if you don't like vs brakes or when car is modded enough to be fast lol

Basically use 90% of the stato parts should be able to get it running for a few grand depending on the extra mods you do.

For memcal just hit up ACE Performance Tuning for memcal tune...vats off,thermofans enabled,tuned for 98 fuel,airbox,exhausts etc which he's done a fair few...can get him on FB or think Ebay $160-$180 iirc. He did my baby cammed vp with above stuff,seems to work well.

Fuel tank strap mods required 'cos stato will have big 80ltr tank basically just extending straps & shortening filler neck 20-40mm...you'll work it all out when go to fit it anyway...if you smaller 60ltr efi tank you'd just use your current straps but again use almost everything off the stato.

If you want it to start off 100% roadworthy use all vs gear off it...main things is vs brakes,charcoal cannister,fueltank,airbox setup & catalytic convertor...you can & probably will mod it more down the rack anyway lol

I never addressed clearance issue properly as had var all fitted...used crowbar & jack to get 5mm clearance,probably not enough but wasn't pulling it all out again untill after rust work & paint job completed...fingers crossed next year lol

So yeah few things to think about before putting eng/auto in first like extra fuel line,radiator tiebar & vs m/cyl + booster...don't be surprised if it comes back out once or twice for simple to do you forgot.

Ps 1k donor car is good buy...as long eng/auto still good you're winning.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
The law is an ass. Admittedly there are not very many cases like mine. I bought my vh into the country from across the ditch about 19 years ago. It did not have a charcoal canister, narrow neck fuel filler neck or a catalytic converter. The car was treated as a private import so they were not required. The only proviso was that if I sold the car they would have to be fitted. I have since done so even though I do not have as of yet have any plans to sell the car. The car has a vp 355 efi stroker motor fitted.

Yer its a jackass alright, look like you have the holden carowner's virus trifecta there keith @ VHSE :)

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Some further info. When you go for rego just leave stock VH front disk brakes in case you need engineer’s report/pit inspection for front brake conversion. Do the VS front change after.

*Rego is Form MR620 and just numbers check if your car came with fitted 4 wheel disc. If drum rears, you need same form and do standard vh factory rear disk size conversion and then it will be the same process. If you go for larger rear disk brakes, an engineer’s report and pit inspection ?
*VS ECU memcal needs unchecking security option, and also changing shift points for trans gear change if your new diff ratio is different to donour car set at 3.08 diff ratio. (Gtrboyy covered where to get it down)
*Electrical, you need to install check engine light, from ecu to your dash (donor car dash loom sourced).
*Run new wiring for rear electrical pump/fuel sender at tank to front under bonnet pump relay (donor sourced of body loom)
*Also vn-vs v8 copper radiator is the same size as vh , though you need bottom pin mounts rewelded to fit into vh bottom rad support rubber position. Or buy alloy unit with thermos on ebay already done mod.
* Pacemaker 5700 extractors designed for 304 vb-vl with power steering. Use other pacemakers for manual rack.
*You need to source a vn-vp p/s rack with vl intermediate shaft (both round spline shaft) to go with stato kframe as the rack gives more clearance with smaller body. If you weld/change the rack mounting points to mix n match frames n racks you will need an engineer’s report for rego, so use all matching original. (donor car has electrical variable p/s body, no good)

*Also think about what plastic resi/bottles you have now (position) and what you end up using later @ vb-vh bottom mount or the vh-vl high strut tower option. If you use the stato fuse/relay box you can mount the smaller vs canister same position as your old 1 but under the guard, plenty of room.
*Also good to upgrade n fit oil catch can, next to passenger strut tower is good spot and also mount your ignition coil on the firewall, you will see on the 304 why ?
*Yep luck of the draw with tunnel clearances as gtrboyy said, do some test fits with motor/trans when you mod trans mount. Some massaging with hammer on driver’s side bottom tunnel pointy bit next to steering rack body needed and passenger side upper shifter bracket clearance.

Also you can reuse the hsv type steel headers with Y piece that should be on the v8 stato with the factory cat n muffler and then just get a single exhaust extended to the rear as a cheap workable option.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Also if you put a carby/manifold on the later efi 304 block or do a 4 to 6 to v8 conversion into the older car that leigh has in SA you don't need to do a rego car inspection if your car has the factory 4 wheel disk brake, You just do the paperwork/rego for the new v8 engine change.

Most people probably won't pick up visually the small differences/change apart from the head port config between old 308 and 304 blocks, but the big elephant in the room would be the engine number/date code :D

Just a slight deviation with this....If it is fitted with the 304/308, yes disc brakes...If it's fitted with a 253 (which not many do), drums are sufficient in the rear.

With that said, you'd have to be very very unlucky to be picked up not having all the emissions stuff, relating to the engine year :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Given that when transplanting a newer engine into an older vehicle, the emissions must meet those of the original engine, not the older vehicle, will a carb set up achieve this requirement ?

EDIT: Should read newer engine, not original engine.

The thing with S.A, the only time an inspection is done, is if the car is defected for a full inspection....So fitting all the correct emissions for the engine year rarely gets done.....I also seriously doubt the inspectors would know how to decipher an engine number, to match the year it was manufacturered...

I'll add in, I'm not saying not to do it properly....Just mentioning what generally occurs

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Many years ago my wife went to England. She brought back some 4.2 pistons for my Mk 2 Jag. They cost $900 which was a lot cheaper than what I would have paid for them in NZ. They were only cast pistons and not properly balanced. (Don't buy a Jag). When she came through customs the man knew they were 4.2 and not 3.8 pistons and therefore for some reason she did not have to pay duty on them. My point is be careful.