Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman 5.0 Donor for VH SL/X

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The thing with S.A, the only time an inspection is done, is if the car is defected for a full inspection....So fitting all the correct emissions for the engine year rarely gets done.....I also seriously doubt the inspectors would know how to decipher an engine number, to match the year it was manufacturered...

I'll add in, I'm not saying not to do it properly....Just mentioning what generally occurs

Understand.

I'd be also concerned with insurance denial of claim issues if not done legit.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
From experience they do check engine number /build code " especially " on interstate bought cars in case of stolen / rebirthed items but generally if you go through an engineer they are pretty relaxed. You only have to look at most cars on club rego today with huge rim/tyre/brake combos not legal regency approved modifications and people don't worry about it, till the issue of insurance should an accident occurs, and their claim ends up being a sad situation. Its all about the $'s not the looks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
From experience they do check engine number /build code " especially " on interstate bought cars in case of stolen / rebirthed items but generally if you go through an engineer they are pretty relaxed. You only have to look at most cars on club rego today with huge rim/tyre/brake combos not legal regency approved modifications and people don't worry about it, till the issue of insurance should an accident occurs, and their claim ends up being a sad situation. Its all about the $'s not the looks

Insurance with the bigger rims and tyres, with older cars isn't an issue, when it comes to dailies....

The just have to have the rolling radius and load rating the same as what the car was manufacturered with and you are fine.

I'm not 100% sure with the club rego rules these days, but it used to be that to be eligible for club rego, the rims must be the same maximum diametre as what it left the factory with....If you were caught with larger rims, you automatically had your club rego cancelled and never got it back....You also had to pay the difference between the normal and rego for the entire period you had club rego. So if you had club rego for 5 years, you had to cough up 5 years worth of normal rego costs....

I have 4 cars on club rego....To this day, I still have the original size rims and tyres fitted to these cars....So I have never bothered finding out about the new club rego rules that came into effect about 3 or 4 years ago

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Insurance with the bigger rims and tyres, with older cars isn't an issue, when it comes to dailies....

The just have to have the rolling radius and load rating the same as what the car was manufacturered with and you are fine.

I'm not 100% sure with the club rego rules these days, but it used to be that to be eligible for club rego, the rims must be the same maximum diametre as what it left the factory with....If you were caught with larger rims, you automatically had your club rego cancelled and never got it back....You also had to pay the difference between the normal and rego for the entire period you had club rego. So if you had club rego for 5 years, you had to cough up 5 years worth of normal rego costs....

I have 4 cars on club rego....To this day, I still have the original size rims and tyres fitted to these cars....So I have never bothered finding out about the new club rego rules that came into effect about 3 or 4 years ago

VC You didn’t get last post. My point was there are many cars driving around with huge wheel combos that if they were in an accident their insurance would be void due to not having a legal modification.

It had nothing to do with club rego issues, they don’t do/enforce the law or issue/legality with bigger rim/tyre combo from standard factory wheels, the SA Govt and police do. Clubs just handle the registration log book part of the car not the rego

The law is cars are allowed to have larger combos as long as they are passed by SA Service/regency as a legal modification MR620 form.

Read the MR1457 form @ The diameter of the wheel and tyre combined is no more than 50mm(4WDs) or 15mm(other vehicles) larger than the maximum wheel and tyre size set by the vehicle manufacturer. The max size is whats on the car tyre/rim placards,

Any bigger that stated and you need to apply for a modification to be legal.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
VC You didn’t get last post. My point was there are many cars driving around with huge wheel combos that if they were in an accident their insurance would be void due to not having a legal modification.

It had nothing to do with club rego issues, they don’t do/enforce the law or issue/legality with bigger rim/tyre combo from standard factory wheels, the SA Govt and police do. Clubs just handle the registration log book part of the car not the rego

The law is cars are allowed to have larger combos as long as they are passed by SA Service/regency as a legal modification MR620 form.

Read the MR1457 form @ The diameter of the wheel and tyre combined is no more than 50mm(4WDs) or 15mm(other vehicles) larger than the maximum wheel and tyre size set by the vehicle manufacturer. The max size is whats on the car tyre/rim placards,

Any bigger that stated and you need to apply for a modification to be legal.

I did get your post VIN.....Bigger wheels are legal, without an engineering signing off, or approval to be obtained, providing they are the same rolling radius (or within a certain tolerance) and the load and speed ratings are the same or greater than what the car left the factory with....You must also ensure the track isn't increased by more than 26MM from the largest factory fitament availablle for that car...

Club rego....Clubs did have the obligation to report to the department, wheel/tyre combos being larger than what the car came with, if a club inspector spotted it and photographed the car with the combo, or saw photographic evidence of it...If they didn't, the club would be fined and depending on the circumstances, loose their right to issue club rego...

Clubs handle the paper work, to be lodged with the transport department, for a car to be eligible for club rego, as well as the issuing of log books and the yearly or 2 yearly inspections of the cars ... What happens is a club inspector comes out, looks over the car to see it is fitted with parts that it would have been when it left the factory and marks it off on an inspection sheet....Once the inspection sheet is finished, you the owner is given a copy, which you then lodge with the transport department when you pay your club rego...The other copies are kept with the club, so if a car is photographed with illegal parts, or a police officer picks up those parts, it can then be traced back to the club and appropriate action taken.

I say did, because I believe rules have changed since I obtained club rego, allowing a bit more freedom with "modifications" away from factory specs and I'm not upto date with those...

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Enough chitchat...time to test driveline in stato for what needs to be fixed then plan of attack to ensure conversion is completed.

Budget? Timeline? D.i.y?

Pics or list of what is usable on the stato & reusable of vh.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I did get your post VIN.....Bigger wheels are legal, without an engineering signing off, or approval to be obtained, providing they are the same rolling radius (or within a certain tolerance) and the load and speed ratings are the same or greater than what the car left the factory with....You must also ensure the track isn't increased by more than 26MM from the largest factory fitament availablle for that car...

Club rego....Clubs did have the obligation to report to the department, wheel/tyre combos being larger than what the car came with, if a club inspector spotted it and photographed the car with the combo, or saw photographic evidence of it...If they didn't, the club would be fined and depending on the circumstances, loose their right to issue club rego...

Clubs handle the paper work, to be lodged with the transport department, for a car to be eligible for club rego, as well as the issuing of log books and the yearly or 2 yearly inspections of the cars ... What happens is a club inspector comes out, looks over the car to see it is fitted with parts that it would have been when it left the factory and marks it off on an inspection sheet....Once the inspection sheet is finished, you the owner is given a copy, which you then lodge with the transport department when you pay your club rego...The other copies are kept with the club, so if a car is photographed with illegal parts, or a police officer picks up those parts, it can then be traced back to the club and appropriate action taken.

I say did, because I believe rules have changed since I obtained club rego, allowing a bit more freedom with "modifications" away from factory specs and I'm not upto date with those...

No offence VC @ You seem to read something and interpret in another way, I was referring to larger wheels like 18/19/20 “ as in HEIGHT .... like I noted in my last post being the legal combo amount of 15mm above the largest wheel n tyre set by the manufacture as legal, after that size you need to get legal modification done I wasn’t talking about track either.

Generally its about 2 rims sizes above standard if you can find a low profile tyre to fit in the legal limit with the extra 15mm. There are vb/vc/vh/eh/hr and plenty other makes that came out with rims as 14” and they are running around with 17 – 19” rims with big brakes without legal modification, which the brakes wouldn’t fit under their factory +15mm wheels.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Club rego....Clubs did have the obligation to report to the department, wheel/tyre combos being larger than what the car came with, if a club inspector spotted it and photographed the

Sounds like you don’t have the new club rego on cars that came into force/started 3 years ago. The old one was historic rego.

Clubs don’t do inspections. When you first apply at meeting, even online, just pics of car on phone/usb/photos are enough to register with photo taken of you for your membership card, and you do the form for the cars you want on rego, pay the money get your 3 year log book stamped and off you go to service sa, pay $90 and your good for 90 days that financial year.
Club doesn’t do any 1 or 2 yearly car inspections, no inspector comes out.....if your pay your club the full 3 years on log book and get 3 stamps plus your 3 year club/car membership you don’t see them at all until you need new log book, you just go to SERVICE SA each year to renew rego where you have your own customer number for all vehicles.

As you said last bit in post @@@@ I say did, because I believe rules have changed since I obtained club rego, allowing a bit more freedom with "modifications" away from factory specs and I'm not upto date with those...

Again I say ANY legal light car modifications are handled/done by GOVT SERVICE SA/regency not by the club/s. In order to get $90pa rego you have to join a club who administer the log books on behalf of the SA govt, not the legalities of the vehicle/s.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Enough chitchat...time to test driveline in stato for what needs to be fixed then plan of attack to ensure conversion is completed.
Budget? Timeline? D.i.y?
Pics or list of what is usable on the stato & reusable of vh.

Well he said he has to source new diff either BW or V8 Sals after that he will know what to mod on tailshaft. He can't use his 6cyl diff/tailshaft, well he has to, until he gets new diff and the front trimatic yoke fits the 4L60E rear shaft (same 27 spline shaft) for the time being but it has the smaller centre bearing and could break if it is as old as car and also needs to be shortened so added expense.

Another issue not mention VH has to have suspension updated from 6 to V8 ? at least needs new springs and shockers. $500 aprox

For now List
304 efi complete with full engine loom

Stato 4L60E auto loom and rear fuel pump sender unit wire loom of main body loom
Stato engine bay fuse/relay box

Stato fuel tank (85 litre) and modify 1 tank strap

BW VL Turbo diff 3.45 or V8 3.55 Sals $$$$$?????
Stato tailshaft needs to be cut and balanced and new rear uni to match new diff. $300

Stato auto cooler n lines
stato radiator n cowling and fans, needs bottom radiator pins resolded for vh body rubber position/space

Stato kframe, needs to source vl-vp power steering rack/intermediate shaft OR use vh kframe and original p/sterring and possible end line hoses fittings change to suit stato p/s resi line threads depending what combo is used ?

Stato steel headers plus cat n muffler and then add extra exhaust to the rear or buy new pacemaker depending which kframe/steering combo is used ???? Expensive

Stato carbon canister
VH radiator/windscreen bottle/s

Thats a start for ya, I feel I am repeating myself and headache is coming on.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
6cyl driveline/suspension & even the brakes will be fine just to get it up & running...will still last ok if don't go too crazy.

Seen too many people freak out from information overload or think they can't do things untill buy this,that,this etc nlow their budget or lose motivation.

Wanted to see what parts he has to use,budget & mechanical experience or help from mates then go from there.

Budget d.i.y builds are best way to learn & usually more fun than a big budget pretty car.