Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman 5.0 Donor for VH SL/X

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Hello all-wise JC community, I'm looking for a quick look-over / any tips on an upcoming project.

I'm ready to swap the old 202 in my '81 SLX for a 304, and I've had the chance to pick up a bog stock '95 Stato with a 5L in it for a great price.

I'm 99% sure all the running gear will be the same in the statesman compared to an executive so I'm hoping I can use a fair bit in the conversion. I'm thinking the following will be transferred to the VH:
  • Engine (duh)
  • ECU and minimal loom
  • Auto trans (4L60E)
  • K-frame
  • Fuel tank & pump
  • Brake booster (& reservoir?)
  • Brakes? (already have a set of VY V6 calipers ready to go, but the stato may have bigger?)
  • Front struts?
Is there anything else I could bring across? Or have I covered all of it?

The SL/X has factory power steering, which would be a nice feature to retain, but I know header clearance can get tricky..

From what I've read, I'll need to sort out the speedo sender as the 4L60e is electric sender and the speedo in the VH cluster is mechanically driven. Is that the only 'gotcha' with running the newer 'e' trans?

Still on the hunt for a suitable rear-end (BW or V8 Salisbury) and I assume I'll need a custom tailshaft with this combo of diff/trans

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You doing it all yourself & keeping donor shell untill vh finished?

Lot of labour & little parts & tricks that will come in handy during the build...lots of mix n matching parts from different models to make it all look factory & drive like later models

Basically you'll need everything of donor vs from condensor fan,radiator cross bar to tailshaft,fuel tank (tank straps from vs & wiring to sender).

*vs m/cyl,brake booster,calipers then buy 290mm (vl/n/p v8 discs)
*vs k frame but need vl p/steer rack & intermediate shaft (splined) vs are slotted
*battery tray swapped/reversed to passenger side or moved to boot
*dellows,tuff mounts or whoever trans member or modify trimatic if you can weld
*drill larger hole in trimatic shifter bracket for 4l60e selector bolt

Numerous little things...not all that hard just alot of typing...easier to pm with questions on which section of car/conversion you want to know about.

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Excellent!! Thanks so much for that info gtrboyy, makes for a great starting point.

Yep I'll have both cars for the conversion and then I'll sell off whatever I don't need at the end I guess.

I'm a **** welder (been meaning to learn more) but I have mates that have me covered in the fab department.
Overall, I'm no stranger to playing with engines and cars/boats so I'll be taking this on in my shed.

I might have to dm you some questions as they arise though mate..
It's those little tricks as you say that really help keep a build running along smoothly!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Most of the above will keep you busy for awhile...other thing just remembered is inside trans tunnel somewhere near footrest part of the auto will hit tunnel or be too close for comfort.

Had everything bolted into a vk & didn't realise untill got to drilling dellows trans member that auto was crooked from hitting tunnel.

Vaguely remember 6cyl trimatic tailshaft fitted up so kept 6cyl drum brake diff in the car even though had vl diff for it just cbf'd

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Pretty much spot on gtrboyy thumbs up

As said a lot of lil things and basically every time you change something you need to adapt (mix/match) some other part.

Could add also 95 being the vs model you need to get the security vats disabled in the ecu as you wont be using the pcm ??

The speedo adapter is available online (facebook and rod shop) so you can hook up your speedo (get the longer turbo 400 cable) cable to your dash piggy back on the speed senser.

You will need to put cat on exhaust for emisions reg/rego.

You need thread adaptors for your old brake lines to go onto new m/cyl or get your old lines double flared and new brake lines under guards to fit the larger calipers. (all easily available online).

Also bring over the original stato carbon canister and the transmission oil cooler and the oil lines to auto trans for use.

The stato v8 tailshaft as it has the larger centre bearing and it will be cut shorter later to fit what ever diff you end up using. Mine was cut about 100mm shorter from memory for my salsbury lsd. Your old trimatic front shaft spline is the same size (28 splines) as the 4L60E and can be used to stop trans fluid when installing v8.

You can use your old fuel tank straps as the stato would be irs rear suspension and 1 strap needs to be altered to fit your car. If you have the larger tank then your original straps to short so just alter the stato one. Also you need to install an extra return fuel line for the efi tank, you can try to use the stato ones, the important bit is the 2 standard stato lines that run up driver's side firewall and connect to the fuel rails if you want a standard fitting, or cut part of the old for fitting and make up the rest new.

Also about electrical, you could bring over from the stato the under bonnet complete relay fusebox and just use properly about 4 relays and keep the engine loom plugs connected the same way in your vh and then its just splicing those relays into your original engine loom plug at the firewall and run wires behind brake booster along guard to relays. with this and space/room an issue as canister is there as well, run lines to the battery in the boot on the same side (drivers).

Last lil bit, you can also adapt your original tbar shifter to suit of get the bm and use the muscle garage box to lower bm shifter into your original console.

That should keep you busy and thinking for a while, and remember there are many ways to skin a cat/do a 304 conversion depending whether your taste is new parts look or using original 2nd hand repurposed/freshened up parts, at least you have more info than I started with. :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have seen a turbo 350/400 bolted straight behind a 304, that was converted to carb.....To bolt a trimatic behind the 304, you need to redrill and tap 1 or 2 holes at the top of the block. (Can't remember how many, but can find out if required)

The only issues going carb on these engines is, firstly the manifold is about $700 and 2ndly, it can put the carb air cleaner out the bonnet.....Not 100% sure if you can get an air cleaner to place it below the bonnet line...

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I have seen a turbo 350/400 bolted straight behind a 304, that was converted to carb.....To bolt a trimatic behind the 304, you need to redrill and tap 1 or 2 holes at the top of the block. (Can't remember how many, but can find out if required)

The only issues going carb on these engines is, firstly the manifold is about $700 and 2ndly, it can put the carb air cleaner out the bonnet.....Not 100% sure if you can get an air cleaner to place it below the bonnet line...

Hey VC he has/is using the 4L60E electronic 4 spd auto with o/d lockup torque convertor which is linked to the efi ecu as he is do a efi conversion, not doing a carby motor.

Also for your info you can put EFI fuel injectors into the edelbrock low dual plane performer manifold and a throttle body where the carby sat to give you that old school below the bonnet look.

Your talking about the highrise single plane carby manifold that sticks out the bonnet nuthing to do with this 304 efi conversion leigh is doing.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hey VC he has/is using the 4L60E electronic 4 spd auto with o/d lockup torque convertor which is linked to the efi ecu as he is do a efi conversion, not doing a carby motor.

Also for your info you can put EFI fuel injectors into the edelbrock low dual plane performer manifold and a throttle body where the carby sat to give you that old school below the bonnet look.

Your talking about the highrise single plane carby manifold that sticks out the bonnet nuthing to do with this 304 efi conversion leigh is doing.

I have put it out there about the carb conversion, if he wishes to go that route.....He doesn't have to, but it is nice to know things like this exist, should the need arise...Even for future reference

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Given that when transplanting a newer engine into an older vehicle, the emissions must meet those of the original engine, not the older vehicle, will a carb set up achieve this requirement ?

EDIT: Should read newer engine, not original engine.

Last edited:

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I have put it out there about the carb conversion, if he wishes to go that route.....He doesn't have to, but it is nice to know things like this exist, should the need arise...Even for future reference

All good VC just checking in case of any confusion with the original post