Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman Boot lid strut.

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
Hi I have a vs statesman that has had the drivers side strut mounting point ripped off from the underside of the parcel shelf I am wondering would one strut that is for a spoiler bootlid be enough to hold up my boot lid? if not is it possible to get a stronger strut so I can use only one? could anyone recommend somewhere to get one? thanks.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
maybe a wagon one but prob to long....just JB weld and rivet a bracket near the area the old one parted company.....

VS_Calais_S2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series II
Hi,

I had the same with my Acclaim and found that the best way was to cut up a piece of plate steel 3mm thick and put three short 6mm bolts complete with washers through the bracket, also the parcel shelf and then through the plate steel on top as the strengthener and thus have never had an issue since. Mine has the factory SS spoiler on the boot and when I originally put new struts on they ripped both brackets off within a week. They have never given me a problem since the repair job.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I just welded mine back on. You can drill holes and bolt it through the parcel shelf with 6mm bolts and panel washers in the original mounting position which is easy enough.

There are only a few spot welds holding them from factory.

Your panel gaps wont be right with one strong strut when closed.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
3mm plate and 3X6mm bolts.... damn how much stored energy is there in a single boot strut :D

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Whack a slight bend in the other strut. DO NOT over bend it.

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
a strut from a VS statesman is the exact same part number as one from a VS SS, which are rated at 530N (a non spoiler sedan is about 470N by memory)

i ordered a pair of Monroe boot struts a few weeks ago for my VS Sedan, as ive tried the ebay ones in the past and they were way to strong. also had the same issue with the boot bracket snapping the welds years ago, i just ended up bolting it in as mentioned above by others