Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman fuel tank

Ricardotaco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hi, I’m hoping someone out there might have a fix for a minor problem I have with my fuel tank.

I’ve been having ongoing problems with a strong smell of fuel from the tank. I replaced the breather pipes but the smell continued.

I have now dropped my tank to clean and seal it (rust issues) and have found what I believe to be the problem.

inside the tank there are 2 pressure regulating valve assemblies that are linked by a small 4mm metal pipe which then beaches off to the smaller vent pipe. I believe these prevent negative pressure (so allow air to be drawn in rather than out).

Both are linked with a crossover pipe which then branches off toward the external part of the pipe work, however there seems to be a small junction piece missing, per photo. Without this being joined the vapour just vents straight to the atmosphere!

Does anyone know for sure that there should be a junction / union at this point and, if so what material will be best? I presume submersible fuel line given the harsh environment it is in, however it only looks to be about 4 or 5 mm in diameter! Maybe nylon? Teflon? Silicone?

I’ve attached 2 images, one showing one of the valves, the other showing the void between the 2 sections of pipe.

Hopefully someone can assist!

BTW.....fitting will be challenging however I’ve made a super long set of long nose pliers (cut & shut) so I can work through the sender opening. Something like keyhole surgery!

Attachments

• 45785006-5344-4FF3-81B5-446615CBC860.jpeg
    45785006-5344-4FF3-81B5-446615CBC860.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 19A5149C-92D9-4F3F-81D7-38E6E8695A97.jpeg
    19A5149C-92D9-4F3F-81D7-38E6E8695A97.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 99

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
The second picture is the vapour-liquid seperator, which stops petrol getting into the charcoal cannister.

Ricardotaco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The second picture is the vapour-liquid seperator, which stops petrol getting into the charcoal cannister.
Thanks, so with a break in the plumbing they’re not doing much at all! I’m probably not drawing fuel into the charcoal canister but if I am it will account for my occasional rough running and poor mileage!

Ricardotaco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Tank fixed!

After a quick trip to u-pull-it to grab a number of nylon fuel lines from modern European cars I was able to find a suitable hose for in-tank use. The modern nylon hose / line will outlive the car!

Having found a match I was able to cut a section about 70mm long and using my modified & extremely long long-nose pliers I was able to fit one end over one section of fixed vent pipe. I had hoped to be able to manipulate the other end over the second section of fixed vent pipe but that was never going to happen!

Instead I released the soldered joint where the same section of pipe exits the top of the tank and was then able to guide the pipe and new hose into place. The new nylon hose is a really snug fit so I’m confident it will provide a vapour seal and never move!

The vent pipe was then silver soldered back into position.

So now my tank is cleaned, sealed inside, has a new pump and submersible return line. I again used my same modified pliers to attach the new line to the swirl pot using a basic spring clamp.

I’m now going to re-fit the tank using nylon hose for the vent pipes and hopefully it will never cause me any problems again!

Attachments

• 1A6ED1E2-AE9A-4CC4-B72D-EF4B9671F1C8.jpeg
    1A6ED1E2-AE9A-4CC4-B72D-EF4B9671F1C8.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 87
  • A87A53E9-06F5-4C3B-A208-C03AFD3CA339.jpeg
    A87A53E9-06F5-4C3B-A208-C03AFD3CA339.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 82