Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs statesman v6 and v8 buy?

LXXXVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
Gday friends.I have a chance to purchase two VS statesman’s.one v6 300,000km $1500 hasn’t been running for years,paint 5/10 trim 8/10 and the other is a 5ltr hasn’t ran 2–3 years paint 8/10 trim 8/10 250,000km.just after a guide on what people think would be a fair offer for both considering the current market and a little money to spend on both.any opinions would be much appreciated.cheers

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Only you can determine what you want to pay bc only you can see them..
You won't know what needs to be spent until you attempt to start/drive them.
Sitting for years where ? paddock or garage ??
Are they running ?
Have you checked for rats/mice/joe blakes ?
How are all fluids /coolant /oils / brake fluid etc etc ?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
At the end of the day even if the V8 one is in terrible condition it will always be worth more than a V6 even fully restored so make that one your main focus, and the v6 will just be a bonus as part of the package.

Historically 6 cylinders have never held any resale value once they age. At least with the V8 once the time comes to move it on you are likely to make back more than you paid for it.

Take a VN for example now they have hit historic vehicle age:
V6 - about $5k in good nick.
V8 - Pushing $40-45k in the right trim spec etc.

Kingswoods did the same thing back in the day.
You could have a top of the line specced 6 cylinder and a base model factory V8 car was always worth about 4-5x more.

Thankfully Statesmans haven't appreciated yet as much as the SS/BT1 etc so throw them an offer of $5k and see what happens, the worst they can say is no and you can negotiate from there.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Offer low as you can possibly get them for & sell for highest amount somebody else will pay obviously.

Isn't that the answer you wanted.

Me personally & most people I know would want v8 stato for running gear for v8 conversions so we wouldn't want to pay much as be expecting it all to need rebuild or potential scrap metal.

Cousin bought a nice & clean vs stato 18 months ago for 5k as donor car for vn ss restoration...now looking for another donor as one he bought is way too nice to part out/destroy

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Offer low as you can possibly get them for & sell for highest amount somebody else will pay obviously.

Isn't that the answer you wanted.

Me personally & most people I know would want v8 stato for running gear for v8 conversions so we wouldn't want to pay much as be expecting it all to need rebuild or potential scrap metal.

Cousin bought a nice & clean vs stato 18 months ago for 5k as donor car for vn ss restoration...now looking for another donor as one he bought is way too nice to part out/destroy

this ^^

the Statesmans just don't hold value the same way SS etc does, even a VN exec sedan gets more froth than a VQ does. Personally I love a good barge, but many many others prefer the sedans and the market value proves that.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vs v8 driveline in my junker vp ute came out of stato lol