Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman Variatronic Power Steering Heavy

midtownjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Statesman
Had heavy steering in my VS Statesman (not insanely heavy but certainly not feather light as they should be). Auto electrician noted it was throwing an Power Steering "open circuit" code, plus the rack leaked PS Fluid so I replaced the rack with one from a wreck I had. The new rack has made the steering even heavier and rather unpleasant to drive....presumably possibly due to new (tighter) Tie Rod Ends and inoperable Variatronic Power Assist.

Now admittedly this one MAY have another bad solenoid in it, however from memory the wrecked statesman it was in steered okay and it seems coincidental this will be the second heavy rack in the car. Plus using my mechanic's (all be it different scan tool) says the Power Steering system isn't showing any codes. Tried resetting the BCM with the Fuel Pump fuse but doesn't seem to reset? Had the battery off for an hour or so and no change. Wiring loom for the rack is definitely connected up by the pump.

Possibly the pump on its way out? Anyone have any other ideas; mechanical or auto electrical?

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
My mechanic tells me that worn strut top bearings will make the steering heavy

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It's a VERY common problem. 3 of the 4 I've owned have all had very heavy steering. I replaced the rack on my daily and that fixed it. The steering effort gradually increases with speed, it's much nicer to drive now. Strut top bearings helped mine a little bit.

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
I had a similar issue thinking it was the rack it ended up being the power steering pump. Make sure you buy a variatronic power steering pump not just the normal power steering pump.

midtownjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Statesman
My mech has also suggested strut top bearings as it creaks a fair bit when turning so I'd say that's where the sudden increase in resistance has come from.

Gonna get the PS pump pressure and rack tested at a power steering shop. Hopefully a recon rack and some new bearings will make the car a little more drivable without needing a new pump aswell! Shall update the thread when I find a solution :)

midtownjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Statesman
Strut top bearings are 100% gone. Getting them replaced this week. However the steering is consistently average so I'd say no Variatronic/speed dependant assistance is going on at all.

I've been told though if I replace the rack I need to do the pump at the same time? Apparently you can take apart the Variatronic solenoids (which I didnt know) and they tend to be jammed up with plastic from inside the rack. This plastic (apparently) then flows through and stuffs the pump so you cant do one with the other......any thoughts on this?