Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Heya, I'm thinking of getting a VS Statesman, just have a couple of things I need to found out before I purchase one;

Is it fairly straight forwarding converting a from auto to manual?

also

Can you chuck 17x8's on? on the placard it's states 15" wheels, now vicroads says on their website:

The width of any replacement rim must not be;
- more then 25mm greater then that the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle.
The overall diameter of any replacement rin and tyre must not be;
- more then 15mm greater then the largest diameter tyre specified by the car manufacturer for that model or vehicle series.

So that means that I can't put on some VZ Calais wheels. Tho the SIII comes with 16" and on the VS Calais placard shows 16", now technically I know you can put these on the car but for insurance reasons I can't, plus it does make the car unroadworthy.

Any suggestions?

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
if your after a VS statesman 3.8 on gas, i might have someone who is willing to sell it...

semmi

Reaction score
VLishes said:
The width of any replacement rim must not be;
- more then 25mm greater then that the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle.
The overall diameter of any replacement rin and tyre must not be;
- more then 15mm greater then the largest diameter tyre specified by the car manufacturer for that model or vehicle series.

So that means that I can't put on some VZ Calais wheels.

Yes you can, because it's the rim and tyre combination that is important. ie if you increase the rim size by more than 15mm you need to put on low profile tyres so that the increase in the overall outer diameter of the tyre does not exceed 15mm.

P.S Do a search on manual conversions. It's possible (anything is...) but how easy it will be would be dependent on your mechanical ability

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
futronix said:
if your after a VS statesman 3.8 on gas, i might have someone who is willing to sell it...

Hrmm gas, not really a fan of it, how much is the VS?

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
semmi said:
Yes you can, because it's the rim and tyre combination that is important. ie if you increase the rim size by more than 15mm you need to put on low profile tyres so that the increase in the overall outer diameter of the tyre does not exceed 15mm.

P.S Do a search on manual conversions. It's possible (anything is...) but how easy it will be would be dependent on your mechanical ability

I probably should refrase, I ment $ wise, if I get a someone to do it, would it cost around the same as converting a normal VS? They are probably mechanicaly the same but Statesmans have more electricals in it, I don't want to spend half the cars value on converting it to a manual, then again I don't really like auto either.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
well converting to a manual would be a hell of alot easier with a whole engine and box...because its not as easy as just chuckin a new manual box in,you'll need to replace a tonne of stuff.
basically its gunna cost you quite a bit to do,so i hope your prepared for some hard work and lots of money.you might be better off searching (as hard as they are to find) for a factory manual.

StatOmaN

Custom Title
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Statesman
dont think they made ststos in manuals, all autos bugger it

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
StatOmaN said:
dont think they made ststos in manuals, all autos bugger it

Yeah, thats what I thought, generally the old folk who would buy these cars are too lazy to drive manual, hrmm whats this world coming too. :whistling

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I have seen VS Berlina's advertised with 5 speed's before so I'd say that there should be parts available to do the conversion...

I was thinking of doing the same thing to a Calais...and I posted to a few wreckers who were quoting around $1700 - $2500 supplied and fitted...

I think you'll have most of the hassles with the tailshaft...

sorry that I cant be much more help.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
all statos were auto out of the factory

the stato has a longer wheelbase than the sedan, so be prepared for messing around with tailshafts