Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS stato 5.0 battery drainage

hawkwindnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0 vs statesman/vn 5spd 3.8 wagon
After about a week of not driving, the ol gal only just turns over, if I leave it for about 2 weeks, it won't start at all. I've pulled the fuse for the radio to see if that stopped it, but is still the same. It charges fine from my voltmeter on the battery, I have replaced the battery twice in the last year and a half. Any ideas on where to look next?

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Alternator? What reading are you getting on the battery?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Check and clean all battery and vehicle earths. Clean battery terminals and posts. Load test the battery. Check the charge rate.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I'm having the same problem with mine.....seems to be a statesman thing.

I was away for a week and went to start it the other day and it was flat

Mine has a new Alternator, Battery, Terminals etc......CBF finding the root of the problem....I just keep the trickle charger on it when I go away

Last edited:

hawkwindnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0 vs statesman/vn 5spd 3.8 wagon
Got both batteries load tested, I thought the old one might have had a bad cell, so they replaced it under warranty. New terminals, and are clean, alt is putting out about 13.7 with no load, and with all lights, fan on etc. Have replaced the regulator in the alternator and had it bench tested too. I have recently fitted a battery isolator so I can switch off all the electronics so it will start when I want it to. It starts fine if that is used, its just a pain in the ass having to set the clock and radio everytime I use it. Have cleaned the earth points too. This car has an extra strap coming from the alt housing to the body which I haven't seen before.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Mine does the same thing too , ive left it in the garage for 2 weeks because of my new car . Go to move the caprice and dead as a door knob

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Check the current draw with everything off?

Glove box or boot light staying on?

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I had a problem a while back where the upper glovebox light was staying on.

LTEK4NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE Omega My10 V6 6Speed
Similar problem. VS 95 Wagon 3.6L I'm getting 14.2volt when running the engine. 13.2volts standing with a 0.01 Amp draw via the alt/starter. leave it standing for two weeks. and the battery dies. I installed a isolator between the battery and the Alt/Starter and i can crank it over no worries after two weeks standing. Auto Leckie Tech says there is no problem. Whats up?