Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS stato supercharger

the_doctar

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Hi all, can you please tell me if a V6 supercharged statesman can have the supercharger removed and replaced with standard v6 manifold and not change the harness and computer??

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
dunno about manifold swapping, but you could get crafty and take the snout, rotors & rotor plate off the charger, and bolt on a 'blanking' plate instead.....

I suspect if I were to ask "why?"... I'd get a "p plate high powered car" response?

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Pretty sure you will find that a N/A ecotec has a higher compression ratio than the supercharged engine. So if you did take the supercharger off it would probably run horribly.

the_doctar

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am told the supercharger was removed, but still has the same loom and computer. Are the supercharged engine blocks numbered in such a way that makes them easy to identify?

Would Robotics reply cause the bottom end to develope a knock? if this was the case.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
So are you trying to determine whether your stato was factory supercharged? Check the alloy compliance plate on the firewall. For Eng it will say 'L67' if it was a fatory supercharged 6.
The supercharged and ecotec looms are different, mainly due to the supercharged loom having the coolant temp sender and sensor at the rear instead of the front like the ecotec and it will also have additional plugs for the boost control solenoid etc. Are there any unused plugs in your loom? If what you suspect has been changed to basically make it a low compression ecotec, then its probably had an ecotec loom and pcm fitted.
Re: the supercharged 6 running lower compression, no this wont be the cause of developing a bottom end knock. It would still run fine on an ecotec tune, but probably down a little on power.

I may have missed the point, but what exactly is the scenario and what are you trying to determine???

the_doctar

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
So are you trying to determine whether your stato was factory supercharged? Check the alloy compliance plate on the firewall. For Eng it will say 'L67' if it was a fatory supercharged 6.
The supercharged and ecotec looms are different, mainly due to the supercharged loom having the coolant temp sender and sensor at the rear instead of the front like the ecotec and it will also have additional plugs for the boost control solenoid etc. Are there any unused plugs in your loom? If what you suspect has been changed to basically make it a low compression ecotec, then its probably had an ecotec loom and pcm fitted.
Re: the supercharged 6 running lower compression, no this wont be the cause of developing a bottom end knock. It would still run fine on an ecotec tune, but probably down a little on power.

I may have missed the point, but what exactly is the scenario and what are you trying to determine???

well i'm trading one of my old cars for this car - its a 50th anniversary edition, supercharged v6, according to owner the super charger has been removed as it failed, so they took it back to standard V6 but didnt change the loom and ECU. It has bottom engine knock thats why im trying to work out if i need to get an engine, loom and ECU. OR just a new engine as i thought they would have had to change the ecu and loom already if the supercharge removed.

Cheers all that are replying thanks.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
For the work involved and amount of parts to be changed to convert it back to a N/A V6, it would have been far easier for them to have just done a complete ecotec swap. Maybe this is what they've done?
As above though, check the first two letters of the engine number.