Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs steering wheel help

jamiebrown

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS acclaim
hey guys my steering wheel is on a bit of an angle every time i drive it. if i hold the wheel straight it pulls to the left. would that just be in need of a wheel alignment or what? thanks.

godatfourdigital

Reaction score
Members Ride
EH Holden, VS Ute
if you let got the wheel that the car remains straight then in most cases (most) you can assume it is not the wheel alignment..

after you have a wheel alignment and the problem remains then take the steering wheel off and relocate it to suit...

wheel alignments are cheep, you should start with that... although the easy option would be just to remove the wheel and relocate it...

my ute was doing the same, i put up with it for a few weeks because i knew a wheel alignment was coming... after wheel alignment it was better but i still moved the steering wheel now is perfect.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Moving the steering wheel is not the correct way to do it as it moves the rack off centre and it affects your toe out on turns. (Have you ever heard a car go around a tight corner slowly but the tyres were squealing?) If your steering wheel is crooked after a wheel alignment, the rack is not centralized. The correct way to do it is to set the wheel to the straight ahead position and adjust the tie rods until the wheels are straight.

On most cars, to get the wheel straight and the front wheels pointing straight ahead, you need what is called a compensated (or thrust) wheel alignment, this adjusts the steering perpendicular to the thrust line of the diff.

On vehicles with rear toe adjustment a full four wheel alignment is necessary.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Moving the steering wheel is not the correct way to do it as it moves the rack off centre and it affects your toe out on turns. (Have you ever heard a car go around a tight corner slowly but the tyres were squealing?) If your steering wheel is crooked after a wheel alignment, the rack is not centralized. The correct way to do it is to set the wheel to the straight ahead position and adjust the tie rods until the wheels are straight.

On most cars, to get the wheel straight and the front wheels pointing straight ahead, you need what is called a compensated (or thrust) wheel alignment, this adjusts the steering perpendicular to the thrust line of the diff.

Right, so we just need to go to our tyre shop and ask for the most expensive wheel alignment? :p

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon

+1 to this. (except the toe out on turns bit. :) This comes from the angle of the steering arms)

Right, so we just need to go to our tyre shop and ask for the most expensive wheel alignment? :p

Just ask for a standard alignment and tell them the wheel is not straight.
They still should fit the rear cameras to check the thrust angle, as stated above.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
+1 to this. (except the toe out on turns bit. :) This comes from the angle of the steering arms)

Which are connected to the rack. If the one tie rod is shorter than the other it will pull that wheel in further when turning, thus putting the toe out on turns out.