Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Supercharged 6 - no spool whistle

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Hi guys I drove a VS statesman super 6 a couple years back and it drove incredibly well. Notably it had a really cool whistle from the charger and went a lot faster than a n/a VS vehicle. however - I've recently purchased a series 3 super 6 statesman and it has barely any whistle no matter how hard I listen and it is a slug - my low kms n/a wagon would probably burn it off. So, why no whistle and why would it be a slug? could it be related? not running rough and no codes other than ABS. Plugs looks pretty clean. Original leads. 209kms with two owners

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Funny you should say this as recently I test drove a VX Calais that was Supercharged and my thoughts were, "I don't know what they are all talking about" as this thing is not much better than my n/a VS Wagon withit's 45,000k's on it.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
The boost solenoid is probably shagged so it would be lucky to be seeing 3 psi. Search boost solenoid delete and do it. Quite easy.
Slap a pod filter on it if you want the hectic blower noise.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
The boost solenoid is probably shagged so it would be lucky to be seeing 3 psi. Search boost solenoid delete and do it. Quite easy.
Slap a pod filter on it if you want the hectic blower noise.

Did the solenoid delete and put a pod. still impossible to hear it spool unless windows are up on the freeway at 100kms or sorta 3k RPM. It does seem to go a little better that prior but geez it aint much better than my n/a ecotec. Could I check anything else mate? It does have a pretty crazy vibration caused by drone at 1200-1700 RPM since I cut exhaust at the diff (was rear ended so all bent up) cheers mate

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
They arnt much better than an ecotec that's probably why it feels like it does lol will have more bottomend torque good for towing

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
They dont feel fast in stock form but will go a heap better than a n/a 6.
Slap a smaller pulley on it and get a tuned memcal to suit.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
They dont feel fast in stock form but will go a heap better than a n/a 6.
Slap a smaller pulley on it and get a tuned memcal to suit.
thanks dude. I probably won't bother with it. It's a nice car and all but so underwhelming. I tramped it off the line yesterday and it smoked up better than an n/a for what it;s worth!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Stock exhaust chokes em up too, they really need a decent CAI, exhaust and pulley upgrade. A tune won't hurt either. I'm sure back with the VS models the L67 had to be detuned as they couldn't have a V6 making more power than the flagship 5l V8 models....

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Standard twin exhaust of a ss or hsv sedan helps too.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
I drove one with 134,000kms - goes like a cut snake compared to mine. Looks to have a new exhuast with hi-flow mufflers but otherwise is stock. has much more spool noise than mine too.