Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS - Ticking sound, oil light, loses power while turning

jobler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
hey guys

i have been having a minor issue in my 1995 VS recently, where the engine would make a slight screeching sound when starting up and would tick for the first 10 seconds or so. the oil light would also come on. it would ease off and then idle normally, with the oil light turning off.

today though, the ticking sound didn't ease off. i drove it down the street and gave the throttle a bit of a squirt to see if it changed anything (why i did that i dont know). about 30 seconds later the ticking sound got much louder, and on the next corner my car simply turned off. i let it sit for a bit and checked all leads under the hood. started the car up and let it idle - it kept ticking.

managed to crawl home and it turned off again when i was turning into my driveway.

i have a feeling its an oil pressure problem, as i have only recently changed my oil and definitely have enough in there, but the oil light persists.

any ideas? if its an oil pressure problem and my engine needs to be taken out, would it even be worth getting fixed?

CrimsonThunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS
Well I was goin to suggest that you were out of engine oil cos mine made a ticking sound when it was. But you say that its just been topped up I have no idea sorry. :(

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check the harmonic balancer - sounds like it is on it's last legs and hitting the cover and/or the CAS.

Marcho

Marcho"s R.I.D.E
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Accliam S2
noise and low oil pressure

Your oil pickup in the sump that has the mesh on it could also be getting blocked restricting oil being picked up, depending on the age of you motor, km, how often oil changes have been done etc and how the motor has been looked after over its life, this could be your problem.

If this is the case and you are feeling adventurous go and buy a sump gasket and pull the sump off the bottom of your motor and have a look see at the pickup. Another easier way is to take one of the rocker covers off, if there is a buildup of old oil stuck to it then this will most likely be the problem. Bits of this oil can come loose and find it's way to your sump, the cause can be someone over the life of the car neglecting oil changes.

If the cover does have this build up, might be time to think about a rebuild or a top end clean.

jobler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
thanks Marcho and everyone else, ill get it checked out