Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Tips and Tricks - You May Not Know About

RedGoesFaster97VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S II
Hey all, sorry if this has been covered before, i did search and couldnt find anything - after floating around on the forum, I've found a couple of tips i have found that are awesome. the only ones i know about are:

Deadlocking - Locking the car with the key after you have locked with the remote(please correct me if i am wrong)

VS Speedo Alert - Turning it into a Digital Speedo - turn car onto ACC and hold down all three speed alert buttons until 100 flashes then press SET.

If anyone has anymore please add, I think Commodore owners would love to know this stuff(If they don't already) :dance:

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
Deadlocking was on most of the V' series models.
Turning the Key to the horizontal positon achieves this.
But it only worked if there was a trigger switch behind the handle that locked all the central locking modules down.

Another feature was pressing the two buttons together when turning on the car, it then gave you (if you had level 3, cluster) fuel pump pressures, alternator voltage, and other cool stuff. Great for fault finding fuel-air locks.

Digital speedo was around from VN Calais. :)

Yes alot of people know but some facts get forgotten...

RedGoesFaster97VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S II
damn, wish i had a level 3 dash now, thats awesome...anyone got anymore??????

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Another feature was pressing the two buttons together when turning on the car, it then gave you (if you had level 3, cluster) fuel pump pressures, alternator voltage, and other cool stuff. Great for fault finding fuel-air locks.

Hi mate where do I find out all the features of a level3 cluster???

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
See:

Unofficial Holden Commodore Archive - Technical Tips

To paraphrase:

Start the special functions: press MODE and RESET while turning the ignition on (The computer will do a self diagnostic check and display the word 'FAIL' if it finds an internal fault). Press mode to swap between the different displays.

Display 1: Speed in km/h, fuel in L/h, Button Test.

Display 2: Battery Voltage, Fuel tank sender Volts (full ~4.4V, half ~6.6V, empty ~8.5V), Button Test.

Display 3: Energise all segments of the display.

The button test shows a '0' each time a button is pressed. Each different button will illuminate a different spot.

Anyway it seems to be the same for my VS - not sure about the fuel pressure mentioned in a previous post though?

Last edited:

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
THANKS FOR THE SPEEDO TIP~!!!

it works on my VR Series II. Hold down both arrow keys while turning key over

thanks again!

The_Lexman

Man with Lexcen
Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Lexcen CSi
That speedo tip is pretty cool, only thing is that it doesn't match up with needle on my normal speedo, the digital speedo is about 5 k's to slow. Oh and theres a bright orange flashing light that bugs the hell out of me, any idea how to turn it off?

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
That speedo tip is pretty cool, only thing is that it doesn't match up with needle on my normal speedo, the digital speedo is about 5 k's to slow. Oh and theres a bright orange flashing light that bugs the hell out of me, any idea how to turn it off?

Analog speedos generally do over-read, better to over-read than under-read. Your digital is likely a little more accurate, not spot-on though.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
On my VR if I hold the set button down in normal operation (not the test mode) then in each different mode I get three extra functions pop up, one gives me tank litres and a calc in the second and third window, the second set gives me distance calc in the second window and the third gives me a fuel calc in the second window.
The second and third calcs mentioned are variable via the up and down buttons.
Can anyone tell me what they do?

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
i think thats to calculate the fuel in ur tank, u can set it up exac, so uno exac whats in ur tank.

Ujst have to fill ur car to full a couple times n set it to that full amount then check on the nxt fill to see how close u are

its a bit fiddly to get exac, takes a few tanks to get it right, jst have to check the amount what was in the tank b4 filling, then check to see if it adds up to the right amount once u added x amount of fuel.

So say u have full tank 63l, then when its half u fill it to the top again, added 33L, u total b4 filling should have read 30L, then when full reads 63L, takes a few full tanks too get it right

Last edited: