Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs to vx gearbox conversion

kev g

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
Hi guys i have a 2000 vx berlina automatic and i also have a 95 vs commodore that i brought a new engine for (ecotec) it currently only has 15,000km on it and it has a 5 spd box but the body is **** on the vs. I want to convert my vx to manual and was wondering if the gearbox would be a straight swap or if i would be better off gettin the whole vs engine and box put in the vx? I have no idea if it would fit and work properly and if there would be a difference in power using the vs engine as i have heard the vx ecotec engines have more power?? My vx engine currently has 250,000km and as i mentioned above the vs engine only has 15,000km.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Do a bit of a search, there's definitely info on this site regarding your exact question. The T5 isnt really compatible with the VX - is the short answer.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Biggest thing will be that you'll need to adapt and fabricate the factory VX hydraulic setup to suit the T5 clutch fork as there is no cable clutch pedal box for the VT onwards. Will need a custom tail shaft too.

You'll also have to mod the VX loom as the VS loom and ECU won't work.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Is the vs have getrag or t5 I see no mention? If already getrag it's just drop in and then the usual convo parts (search will assist u)

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Same gearbox V6 VS to V6 VY, all getrags, unless series 1 had the T5 which it may have either way you can't legally put a VS engine into a VX anyway, cant put an older engine in a newer car, can only put newer into older.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
series 1 had the T5

Correcto, it did indeed.

Engine is a grey area in some states as emissions would essentially be the same, but not really worth it.

kev g

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
Pretty sure its got t5 so might have to leave that one but ill double check as nothing in the vs is from factory was converted to manual and i brought engine from repco a couple years ago

kev g

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
The vs is series ii so would that mean getrag?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yes, but if it's not a factory install it could be either of the two.

Even then theough you'll still need to buy a plethora of parts.

Frankiee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vx commodore v6
Hi I just bort a vs s3 getrag wiring harness I wondering if it will go into my s2 vx can I put straight in or do I have to change any of the wiring to make it work
Need help