Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Transmission Orange Light keeps coming on

zac_sa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
When I drive my VS and its been doing this now for about 2 months. When I drive it within about a kilometer the transmission light comes on. Its never on straight away, always a few minutes into the journey and then never turns off until I restart the engine.
Ive noticed my fuel economy in that time as ive a Berlina and the tripmeter reads around 14litres/100km where as before it was around 12 or so.
That just may be coincidental too as around the same time I changed work places so the driving may be different.
As far as physically/mechanically I havent noticed too much. I thought previously I could feel slight kicks in the transmission when taking off etc but not lately.
Ive topped up the oil, it seems fine. The trans does have a leak I noticed.
Funnily enough I thought the red fluid that was leaking was coming from the power steering as I had to top that up but its actually the trans.
Been that way a while though.

Any ideas?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
check for error codes, theres some posts on here about how to do it, then go from there
When I drive my VS and its been doing this now for about 2 months. When I drive it within about a kilometer the transmission light comes on. Its never on straight away, always a few minutes into the journey and then never turns off until I restart the engine.
Ive noticed my fuel economy in that time as ive a Berlina and the tripmeter reads around 14litres/100km where as before it was around 12 or so.
That just may be coincidental too as around the same time I changed work places so the driving may be different.
As far as physically/mechanically I havent noticed too much. I thought previously I could feel slight kicks in the transmission when taking off etc but not lately.
Ive topped up the oil, it seems fine. The trans does have a leak I noticed.
Funnily enough I thought the red fluid that was leaking was coming from the power steering as I had to top that up but its actually the trans.
Been that way a while though.

Any ideas?

zac_sa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
check for error codes, theres some posts on here about how to do it, then go from there

I just went and checked the error code and Ive got this code. Code 47 - Crank Angle Reference Signal

I assume when you run through the codes it comes up with code 12 3 times so you know it works, as after that it then flashed Code 47 and keeps cycling through the 4 and then 7 flashes.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
if you do have this error code start with the CAS. Very common
I just went and checked the error code and Ive got this code. Code 47 - Crank Angle Reference Signal

I assume when you run through the codes it comes up with code 12 3 times so you know it works, as after that it then flashed Code 47 and keeps cycling through the 4 and then 7 flashes.

Code 47 is Crank Angle Reference Signal Missing, basically your crank angle sensor or DFI module has packed it in. Has your car been stalling of late, or been hard to start? When the CAS fails, the engine will stall, and may not start again.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago in my VS V6, got Holden to change over the sensor, and it has been fine since. Cost is about $85 for the sensor itself, which is located behind the harmonic balancer (the big pulley at the bottom of the engine) and about $40 to $50 in labour costs.
The DFI module is what the coil packs clip into. It's linked up with the CAS and coils to produce a spark at the right time.

Hope this helps!

zac_sa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Yeah it used to stall alot more, when the engine was warm then sometimes it wouldnt start up id have to wait for it to cool down. It almost was like the car was flooded but obviously not.
Hasnt stalled too often of late though and the orange transmission light comes on.
Would the trans light come on even with the sensor issue?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
GO TO THE LINK BELOW and read what BRETTJJJ HAS WRITEN(HES PRETTY CLUED ON)
Yeah it used to stall alot more, when the engine was warm then sometimes it wouldnt start up id have to wait for it to cool down. It almost was like the car was flooded but obviously not.
Hasnt stalled too often of late though and the orange transmission light comes on.
Would the trans light come on even with the sensor issue?

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/157792-error-codes.html see if that gives you any ideas? if not im sure brettjjj will pop in within the next 48hrs.....cheeers