Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs transmission

m1kelbum

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore
hi my 1995 vs has recently started to rev really high in park/neutral, and rarely engages into gear, and on the odd occasion that it does it revs up to 5000 - 5500 rpm and stays there for about 10 - 15 secs before changing gears, i have topped up the fluid, still does the same thing, i replaced the filter and gasket a while ago but that made no difference either, so now i am about to adjust the belts and hopefully that will fix the problem, but i have no idea howto do that, does anyone know how to adjust the transmission belts or know what else would cause these problems?

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Might be problem with ECU.

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
well gotta worry abit when you say adjust the belts, aint no belts in a tranny, is a band but that wouldnt be causing it.

MGNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Commodore series 2
yes it means take it to a mechanic before the thing kills itself.
check your tranny fluid level, make sure your air induction is functioning.
theres 2 things ive come accross with trannys in ford and holdens.
the obvious ones ofcourse.
mate left it too long in his vs cos hes a retard and doesnt know how to check fluid levels, he finally got it fixed after a month or 2 by filling it up with fluid, 2 weeks later his car couldnt reverse and cost him 650 to fix.
spend a little now rather than a lot later.
get the auto serviced too.

i may not be 100% correct on all ive said but unless your car savvy, take it to the mechanic asap

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The high revs seem to be your main problem - for that I'd check that the throttle cable is not sticking, and if this is smooth then I don't think the Idle speed control would make it rev that high.

RainArcher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L V8
I have a similar problem. But I know for certain my transmission is a lemon has 3 months at best left in it. I've done the auto service, had it patched here and there and it is on her final, final-no-more-after-this legs. The auto service did well for about a week and today started to not wanting to change gears. Here is hoping I get the money together for a new box before it decides to stop all together.

Do take it to a mechanic ASAP!

python_hunter1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
sounds like the clutch pack in the transmission is slipping/burnt out. check your fluid and see if it is a brownish colour to check if the oil has been burning. trans oil should be a nice redish colour. but it does sound like transmission is stuffed.

Saint2g

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Excel Sprint
my guess as it could be your throttle position sensor.. this happened to me only recently.. it can cause some serious issues if its not working correctly, its the sensor located on the opposite side to the throttle on the throttle body

gear changes and idle are both effected my this sensor..

but then again i aint a mechanic lol