Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs trouble trouble, drama galor

Blackvs96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 96
ok here goes if your ready to read a long dredfull day i have that has come to me having 2 broken down cars. HOPE YOU READY FOR THE LONG STORY.

k how it all started drove my vs with no problems to go pick up another vs hoping to buy that and sell the vs im currently driving.

went to go have a look at the car with my wife and 6 month old baby girl, started it and it had a problem on the left hand exhaust manifold it had smoke coming out of it when it was running.

To make it worse the guy said he had a brand new battery that didnt seem to start even with jump starting it with my car, but still wouldnt start so decided to swap the battery over and use my battery to start it which it started, by this time i had a feeling the buying car had a bad alternator but the guy was so sure he had it changed.

Anyways once got it started smoke coming out of the exhaust manifold left hand side facing the car, tried to find where the smoke was coming from but couldnt find no leaks or determan where the smoke came from so we decided to go for a test drive and drop pass the mechanics, he had a look and had no idea, untill he open the radiator cap and the coolant was empty so he filled it up nd come to realise it was bubbling which is a known issue for blown head gaskets.
He said that it seems like theres maYBE a hair line crack in the head from warp so said best way is to buy the stuff that you put in your radiator and if its a really small crack it should seal it for ever or if its big then itll be sealed for the mean time.

So i decided to buy it but problem is the guy isnt so negotiatble tho knowing it was a blown head gasket, besides the engine prob the car is imac, vs series 2 and has had all the seals done froim water pump to new belt new fusebox and new thermostat gasket, which i visibaly saw due to all the blue seals around it, but that doesnt really help when you have a blown head gasket, all the **** done to it means nothing now.

the likes of the car that made me buy it besides the head prblem, the body was straight as, had power windows but no central locking.

Anyways manage to get the car for $350 drove to servo cos he sold it with **** all juice, got on the freeway, drove for about 2 k's and im hearing this metal clankering noise everytime i press the gas, starting to get worried, by the way had my car battery in the car i just brought and his battery in my car.

so after driving another 500m the car dies obviosly now thinking about it the alternator is buggered cos its sucked the hell out of my battery causing my car to stall in the freeway, got on the emergency lane, pop the bonnet and smoke everywhere coming out of the dipstick, out of the filler hole, and the manifold, so i know 120% by now that the head is stuuffed just dont know how much damage its stuffed.

So with the car not drivable i hoped into my car to go to a parts store to get the sealent, drove for a fair while looking for one managed to find repco.

turned the car off. thought id try start it and guess what? NO start cos im using his flat battery and forgot to take my battery out of the broken down car. so now i got a car doesnt start, but thought nothhing to worry ill go buy what i need to buy and get it jumped started.

Went in brought the sealent and a coolant and engine oil just incase, lucky a guy helped us out jump start the car with jumper leads, th car wont start, obviosly cos the battery is so flat had it tested and it had only 3volts, so i asked the owner of the helper while he does his shoping can i swap the battery around get it started and swap them back over.

I put the helpers battery in and the negative wire started smoking up and burnt me fingers pulled it out and put it back in and started burning at the starter motor really bad so decided to abandon that plan.

so now i got a stuffed alternator and a flat battery that wont charge, the guy offered to leave it over night while he fully charge the battery and of cause had to leave the car there.

So in one day ive managed to have 2 disabled cars in separate areas. what a day has it neen specially with the shitty weather in melbourne tody.

so decided to lock the car up manualy and close the hood and things get worse, found out the car i brought 3 months ago had its ignition barrel changed so the key wont open the door and the battery is out so cant use the remote, the car window was open like half a cm and tried using a coat hanger to open the car to get the baby seat out, shattered that the locks they put on these holdens its impossible to lift he lock up.

So im baggered ended up cabbing it home and deal with it tomorow, now heres where the questions comes where you guys hopefully help me.

The repco guy tried charging the battery alone and it wont even crank but all the lights come up, im not sure if the alternator is stuffed this is where i need your help.

when he has the battery in charge with another rechargable battery i turn it and it wont even crank take the key out and the battery light stays on. without the key in there.

So what could it be, do i need a new alternator? blown fuse, if fuse which fuses to i look for? or can i just replace the battery.
when it started smoking the negative wire was smoking does that mean i have to change the wiring too?

Whats the best way for me to get this car open since the key wont open the boot or the door and theres no battery in there so i cant use the remote, is there any easy was to get the bonnet open or the door?

Now with the blown head gasket car when i get to it, should i get a alternator for that car too, and with sealing the head anyone know the best way to do it?

Should i just drain the radiator fill it up with water then add the sealer, or add sealer 1st then water, or add water half way and then sealer then top it fully with water that way its sitting in the middle of the radiator.
Cos the botle does say put sealent when you fully fill up the water then put sealent, but what i dont understand is if i feel it up from top how is it suppose to coirculate to the bottom and into the motor.

The clanking i heard was like a squeling belt but sounded metal to metal, so have i damaged it completely somehting inside like the piston causing them noises.

Think thats bout all the questions i can think of, any answers and help or sergestions will really help. cos i plan to get all this done tomorow with less funds as possbile, because ive got a 6 monyh old baby and funds are already hard as it is.

You guys probly thinking why am i buyig a car when i got one already well the car i currently owned before this one and has ran out of rego and theres body inperfections so was looking for a car with a straight body and good motor but as you can see from what i said that didnt go to plan, reason why looking for car with straight body is i do plan to do work on car in far future and give a nice custom re sray when i have money saved, cos the car i have has so many dents its not funny, so wanted a straight car where i can just rub the paint back myself and get it sprayed by the pros that way saving cost.

anyways i did say its a long story hope you guys can help me in anyway possible, damn been a long day for the family.

pleasure and looking forwrd to all your hekpfull comments please asap.

thanks in advance

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
With the sealant for the heads that you put into radiator... It shouldn't matter when you should put it in the radiator...so I would pour it in then fill the radiator up and have the engine running, and make sure that the thermostat opens (by touching the radiator hoses - If only one hose is hot then thermostat is closed, If both hoses are hot then thermostat is open) so get the engine to operating temperature

I know this should be the last thing you should be thinking about but good luck for the rest...

btw are they both V6's or V8's?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Oh my and I thought my day was bad :)
Honestly thats a lot to take in maybe break it down into separate issues in another message :)
The battery issue sounds like there is a short between the 2 main battery leads, check leads and make sure there is no cuts or fraying. As the battery light is staying on with the ignition in the off possy the alt may have gone belly up...maybe one of the battery swaps went in reversed not sure what that would kill..or maybe the assumed short is causing the alt light to stay on...there was a post with similar fault and it was one of leads on the back of the alternator that had been badly joined and was rubbing on a metal part......

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
You will get bubbles from a radiator that has been running for a bit then adding cold water to it. So that does not mean it has a blown head gasket. It is a reaction from cold water going into a hot system.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Sell the hunk of junk go buy another one for $500 bucks and run it into the ground. Done.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
The metal clunking every time U hit the gas, ur motor had over heated not enough coolant.. I fear ur motor has now seized which is why ur starter is frying.. Its trying to turn a seized engine and its burning itself out.

keep the body, scrap the engine..

Blackvs96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 96
With the sealant for the heads that you put into radiator... It shouldn't matter when you should put it in the radiator...so I would pour it in then fill the radiator up and have the engine running, and make sure that the thermostat opens (by touching the radiator hoses - If only one hose is hot then thermostat is closed, If both hoses are hot then thermostat is open) so get the engine to operating temperature

I know this should be the last thing you should be thinking about but good luck for the rest...

btw are they both V6's or V8's?

Both vs one is acclaim one is executive

Blackvs96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 96
Oh my and I thought my day was bad :)
Honestly thats a lot to take in maybe break it down into separate issues in another message :)
The battery issue sounds like there is a short between the 2 main battery leads, check leads and make sure there is no cuts or fraying. As the battery light is staying on with the ignition in the off possy the alt may have gone belly up...maybe one of the battery swaps went in reversed not sure what that would kill..or maybe the assumed short is causing the alt light to stay on...there was a post with similar fault and it was one of leads on the back of the alternator that had been badly joined and was rubbing on a metal part......

Its never happen before cos before buying the car i swapped the batterys around like 3 times cos the buying car kept flatting out, so you reckon i should buy another alternator?

Blackvs96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 96
Sell the hunk of junk go buy another one for $500 bucks and run it into the ground. Done.
yeh i would if i didnt spend $200 on taxi fair and $50 on petrol cos the prick sold it to me with no juice, on that note tomorow im going back to try get the car started if i do, gonna go buy a couple of alternators and battery from wreckers.

just gotta figure out how to open my car cos the guy and repco took the battery out and said he would leave it over night for charge and i went and locked up the car and bonnet not knowing i bought the car and the key wont open the door manually oir the boot, even if i open the boot its hopeless cause its dual fuel, so know any way i can atleast get the bonnet open cause cant open door with coat hanger cos of the stupid lock its to smooth no grip.

any advise?

Blackvs96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 96
The metal clunking every time U hit the gas, ur motor had over heated not enough coolant.. I fear ur motor has now seized which is why ur starter is frying.. Its trying to turn a seized engine and its burning itself out.

keep the body, scrap the engine..

Yh i planned that already, ordered a vy engine already, but can i atleast get it home? if i put the metal sealer ?