Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs ute ecotec losing its idle when cold

sv8vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy sv8
Hello. My vs ute has been causing me a bit of pain lately. Okay, so when i start it up in the morning it sits just above stall (maybe 4
300-500rpm). By the time i back out of my shed it holds its idle but sounds like its pulsating, I have cleaned the throttle body, replaced crank angle sensor, am hoping someone may know what this is? Perhaps another sensor? Perhaps something to do with the choke? When is hot it sometime holds around 700rpm, but not always. Performs nicely and runs smooth on the road.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Did you remove the IAC valve from the throttle body and give it a clean? It controls the idle and can gum up. Remove, clean, disconnect battery while doing it so its reset and ready to go once you start up. Bring revs to 3k for ten seconds for it to relearn (though really a decent drive will usually do the trick)

sv8vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy sv8
Yeah mate i have pulled out the IAC valve and cleaned it up, functions well in hand. I have also checked all coils and plugs, which are all firing a healthy blue spark.
It started about 6 weeks ago, all of a sudden, as in was running fine, parked up for an hr or 2 than it wouldn't start. It requires giving it a bit of of gas to start now, then if i slowly take my foot of the gas it will just hold onto to revs and not stall. The idle will pulsate between 3-6rpm until the temp gauge starts to show a reading, 10mins or so, then it will idle flat, but still less the 700rpm.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Pcv sticking shut when cold? How old is it?

Smooth idle needs consistent crankcase ventilation. Clamping the tb to manifold hose momentarily simulates a blocked pcv and should drop the revs until the iac compensates.

If clamping it momentarily has no effect, pcv is not venting to plenum.

sv8vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy sv8
It's a 99 model. Problem still not resolved. What would also make the fans pulsate on and of when cold?