Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs ute electric window setup with a coloum shift auto

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS BT1 SS 5ltr original
Hi Guys,

Ok so the ute i have has got absolutly nothing in it. No electric mirrors, no central locking and no electric windows.

So it is complete povo pack. Now i have everthing to do the conversion but because it is a coloum shift auto i want to no where and how the switchers get mounted in the ute?

Also the only other thing i am not sure of would there be a plug under the stereo for the centre switchers like in a sedan or a ute that has a centre consol?

I have converted alot of sedans for manual windows to electrics but i need to make 100% sure that there is a way to do it in the ute? What switchers do they use? same as the sedans for the up and down?

Any help or pics of what people have done would be greatly apprechated.

Thanks in advance and please dont send me the eclectric window link as i have read it all and it doesnt have what i am after.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
Hi Guys,

Ok so the ute i have has got absolutly nothing in it. No electric mirrors, no central locking and no electric windows.

So it is complete povo pack. Now i have everthing to do the conversion but because it is a coloum shift auto i want to no where and how the switchers get mounted in the ute?
not sure, i would imagine they wouldnt fit power windows to a column shift ute,could be wrong though?

Also the only other thing i am not sure of would there be a plug under the stereo for the centre switchers like in a sedan or a ute that has a centre consol?
id say no,if its missing the other stuff like elec mirrors than i doubt very much there would be wiring for the windows,check the fuse panel to see if theres a top and bottom prong thingys??? where the fuse/circuit breaker would go,if there's is only a top one,then there wouldnt be any wiring at all.

I have converted alot of sedans for manual windows to electrics but i need to make 100% sure that there is a way to do it in the ute? What switchers do they use? same as the sedans for the up and down?
usually they are the single sedan back door switches from what ive seen,one for the drivers door and one for the pasengers door obviously

Any help or pics of what people have done would be greatly apprechated.

Thanks in advance and please dont send me the eclectric window link as i have read it all and it doesnt have what i am after.

answered above

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
The utes with power windows has the two bucket seats and centre console so the two window switches would sit in the console beside the handbrake.
In a three seater ute, there is no where really to mount the switches, unless you decided to make a plate and mount it in the centre console somewhere. You could also mount the switch in each door, although the driver would not be able to operate the passenger switch from sitting in the drivers seat.

Being a pov pack, if it doesnt have the two pins in fuse 7, then you can use the older power window setup out of a VN-VR? (not 100% sure on this) although you still have the mounting problem.

When I put power windows in my ute, someone previously had already put a console in and two bucket seats, although because mine was a poverty pack, I needed to run a executive wiring harness from the right side engine bay and change the interior loom as well.

Here a pic of my competed job with the two switches in the console along with the handbrake being relocated from the right side to the centre console

IMG_0773Medium.jpg

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
You're going to have to run your own wiring loom to each door.

BUT....

Make a custom facia plate out of dark grey plastic for 2 single switches on the drivers door (mounting them on the furtherest forward, flat part of the arm rest)

And for the passenger door, (Because the normal setup for front doors, the passenger shares the button panel in the centre console) you need a seperate single switch on the passenger door that you can wire up as a slave switch to the passenger switch that is on your drivers door. (See my diagram)

You say you've done this before, so you shouldnt have trouble with the conversion... the only difference you're going to get, is running the slave buttons wiring to the other door.

Total no# of switches: 3 (2 on drivers door, 1 on passenger door)

Note: For my diagram, i used the wire color codes using sedan REAR switches. The wire colors are different in the ute/low series "front only" electric windows.

Attachments

• windows.jpg
    windows.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 5,571

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
answered above

Thanks for your answers.
I have the plugs for the doors to run the wiring loom for the mirrors, windows and central locking so i will assume it would have the plug for the middle switchers.
I also no that a coloum shift can run electric windows as i have seen a pic of one. But thanks for your reply on them answers.

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
The utes with power windows has the two bucket seats and centre console so the two window switches would sit in the console beside the handbrake.
In a three seater ute, there is no where really to mount the switches, unless you decided to make a plate and mount it in the centre console somewhere. You could also mount the switch in each door, although the driver would not be able to operate the passenger switch from sitting in the drivers seat.

Being a pov pack, if it doesnt have the two pins in fuse 7, then you can use the older power window setup out of a VN-VR? (not 100% sure on this) although you still have the mounting problem.

When I put power windows in my ute, someone previously had already put a console in and two bucket seats, although because mine was a poverty pack, I needed to run a executive wiring harness from the right side engine bay and change the interior loom as well.

Here a pic of my competed job with the two switches in the console along with the handbrake being relocated from the right side to the centre console

IMG_0773Medium.jpg

thanks for the pic and info. Car needs to stay as a 3 seater and i did think that i would need to make my own mounting point as i do wish to control the passenger side window. I think i no where i am going to do this.

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
You're going to have to run your own wiring loom to each door.

BUT....

Make a custom facia plate out of dark grey plastic for 2 single switches on the drivers door (mounting them on the furtherest forward, flat part of the arm rest)

And for the passenger door, (Because the normal setup for front doors, the passenger shares the button panel in the centre console) you need a seperate single switch on the passenger door that you can wire up as a slave switch to the passenger switch that is on your drivers door. (See my diagram)

You say you've done this before, so you shouldnt have trouble with the conversion... the only difference you're going to get, is running the slave buttons wiring to the other door.

Total no# of switches: 3 (2 on drivers door, 1 on passenger door)

Note: For my diagram, i used the wire color codes using sedan REAR switches. The wire colors are different in the ute/low series "front only" electric windows.

Now that is the info i am after. Thanks for that diagram.