Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ute - Front Speaker Pods - 6.5"

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Hey guys sorry if this has been posted but i need some info asap hopefully before tomorrow. Well i have a Holden VS Ute and am looking at replacing the front door speaker pods with hopefully some Alpine S Type 6.5 SPS-600

Alpine Electronics of Australia

Although before purchasing these tomorrow i am just looking for confirmation that 6.5" speakers do fit in the 6" standard pods? If so does this require any modification because i would rather not be cutting/sawing any plastic etc. I was hoping someone with a VS could share some info on this matter as well as the speakers i intend on buying? If so do they just slot in like the standard speakers or are they to wide/deep etc? If this is the case can anyone recommend any 6" or 6.5" speakers that will fit as i really liked the look and sound of the Alpine S Types along with the S Type Sub.

Any links or guides preferably with photo's of the install with problems etc encountered would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I would imagine you would have to cut a small amount of plastic out of the speakr mounts to fit the Alpine speakers, it isnt too much trouble...and you can always buy another set from a wreckers if need be. They should fit depth wise, but you may have to cut the back panel that holds the stock wiring, all of which is part of the plastic speaker mount.

There are a few brands of 6" (not 6.5") speakers available, if you wanted to go with a set of component speakers (splits - HIGHLY recommended) then Jaycar make a set that definately fit right into the standard mounts - Cat # CS2327.

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
Im guessin theyre the same dimensions as the Type R's. I had Alpine type R speakers in my VS and they just went straight in, no modifying watsoever. (i dont know if the guy before me had speakers but it didnt look like it.
My mate had the type S speakers, and they go decent enough too.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im guessin theyre the same dimensions as the Type R's. I had Alpine type R speakers in my VS and they just went straight in, no modifying watsoever. (i dont know if the guy before me had speakers but it didnt look like it.
My mate had the type S speakers, and they go decent enough too.

Thanks for the replies guys, would these speakers be the ones you mounted in your VS by chance? Alpine Type R SPR-17C

Because they look the same size as the Alpine Type S speakers that i will hopefully be purchasing. Only problem is on the alpine site the type r has dimensions but the type s doesn't so i cant be definite. Could you contact your m8 and ask him quickly if he has a commodore?

EDIT: K just found some more info, so did you say you had mounted the Type R Alpines in your commodore because if so does that mean according to the info below that the S Type Alpines should fit?

Alpine S Type SPS-600 - 6.5" Coaxial

Manufacturer Part Number: SPS-600
# Woofer Mounting Depth: 56mm
# Woofer Mounting Diameter: 125mm

Alpine R Type SPR-17C - 6.5" Coaxial

Manufacturer Part Number: SPR-17C
# Woofer Mounting Depth: 63.2mm
# Woofer Mounting Diameter: 135.2mm

Anything else i should be aware of size way that may not fit? Also just to add i dont need any of those tweeters or splits etc so Coaxial should be fine right? Thats just the two speakers right? As i cbf mounting tweeters etc and my stock VS Ute Speakers would just be stock Coaxial right? Just two stock speakers not this high class component stuff with tweeters etc?

Thanks again and i hope i am making sense.
Matt

Last edited:

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
yea man. plenty of sense made! haha
ok my mate lives next door, i install all of his stuff cos i enjoy playing with sound systems, so yes he has a commodore(VY Ute).
If i were you, id replace the tweeters n crossovers too cos it will sound much better and realistically its not that hard. if you wanna run a sub too i'd get a decent 4 ch amp and run the speakers n sub off that and you will have a mad system setup without burning the budget.
Youve certainly chosen a great product so as long as you dont go E series alpine, you will be alright.

ps. yes im biased towards alpine as i have r series splits and subs and alpine V12 amps. haha

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
yea man. plenty of sense made! haha
ok my mate lives next door, i install all of his stuff cos i enjoy playing with sound systems, so yes he has a commodore(VY Ute).
If i were you, id replace the tweeters n crossovers too cos it will sound much better and realistically its not that hard. if you wanna run a sub too i'd get a decent 4 ch amp and run the speakers n sub off that and you will have a mad system setup without burning the budget.
Youve certainly chosen a great product so as long as you dont go E series alpine, you will be alright.

ps. yes im biased towards alpine as i have r series splits and subs and alpine V12 amps. haha

Alright sweet but one question are you saying that the stock VS Ute i have has got separate tweeters or that the tweeter is built into each door speaker pod? Because i just want a simple easy install and the current stock setup from factory already suits my fancy except for the lack of bass which the sub should fix and maybe slightly better quality audio overall.

Also you must of read my mind as i am hopefully purchasing the

Alpine MRP-F600 AMP

To go with the

Alpine S Type SWS-1043D SUB

And speakers which you already have heard about. Also the reason i am sticking with Alpine is for the quality which my father and i both have been pleased with along with the fact i may be getting these items at cost price.

Now the S Type Speakers that i am hopefully purchasing have the tweeter built in right which i feel sure will be fine for me as i dont want to be messing around with component speakers that have separate tweeters as to me its to much work and i like to keep my equipment in my car half sensible if that makes sense :thumbsup:

Would you be able to tell me what this crossover stuff is? and also if the Speakers/Sub and Amp i have selected will suit each other and get along, such as below it seems to me they should be ok and give the Speakers and Sub the power to reach their full potential?

Speakers are 80W RMS x 2 and the Amp is 4 x 100W RMS = Good?
Sub is 300W RMS x 1 and Amp is 2 x 300W RMS = Good?

Thanks again
Matt

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
sounds like ur over doing it with the amps. you only need a 2x100W rms amp to run the speakers. it gives u 20Wrms leeway which in all honesty is heaps as long as ur not cranking it at full pelt all day every day

A crossover basically gets a signal and splits it into high and lower Freq's, the lower freqs will go to the speaker, and the higher will go to the tweeter. the tweeter in a vs is located on the dash at the bottom corner of the windscreen. it can be difficult to get to at times but if you want a decent sounding system its worth it. the cover is in 2 pieces, its split in the centre. in the pic below its the black mesh part, but in a stock car it'll have a grid. (same position though)

Tweeter.jpg

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
sorry have read all this wrong...

get alpine s series splits!!! not speakers. they're 6 inch so they fit right in, and if you put the crossovers n tweeters in it'll sound way better!

sorry about that. i read it wrong

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
sounds like ur over doing it with the amps. you only need a 2x100W rms amp to run the speakers. it gives u 20Wrms leeway which in all honesty is heaps as long as ur not cranking it at full pelt all day every day

A crossover basically gets a signal and splits it into high and lower Freq's, the lower freqs will go to the speaker, and the higher will go to the tweeter. the tweeter in a vs is located on the dash at the bottom corner of the windscreen. it can be difficult to get to at times but if you want a decent sounding system its worth it. the cover is in 2 pieces, its split in the centre. in the pic below its the black mesh part, but in a stock car it'll have a grid. (same position though)

Tweeter.jpg

Ah hell i never knew they were there. Well as for the amp there isn't really anything else that covers what i need for the Amp and Speakers such as 100W x 2 and 300W x 1. Also if you mean the Alpine S Type SPS-600C thats still 6.5" not 6" according to their website.

Last of all how hard is it to install the tweeters? Very hard or just very annoying and time consuming etc?

Are the crossovers run in the Amp to each speaker/tweeter if i get splits or is this another external piece of equipment needed?

Thanks again
Matt

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
The Type-s coaxials will fit straight in *just*. I had them, and with the old style ones I had to bent 1 of the tabs that you use to screw them in, but the new ones fit in fine without any mods.
Just be glad you arent getting type-x's!

If you get splits they will come with an external crossover, and depending where you mount it running the wires for the tweeters can be a bit of a pain, but not too hard