Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ute Ignition Problem

CPOETW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Seeking advice. My VS Ute (2000 Olympic Edition V8) will turn over but not start. I had a mechanic visit and he tapped the ignition module and hey presto it started. I replaced the module with three after market ones and they all failed, engine would crank but not fire. Put the original back in and it also failed. I then replaced the coil and ignition module together with a Goss brand aftermarket and again it failed. Has anyone any ideas what the problem could be?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
What's your charge voltage?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Has to be wiring/connector either corroded or making intermittent contact to the module.

Good Luck.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
When you say they all failed, what do you mean specifically. Do you mean that they failed to start the car, or something else entirely?

I'd be looking at the ignition module earth or wiring. The attached PDF has some useful information. I don't think the guy is on eBay any more. Note the following info from the attachment:

"If your coil has died, FIRST CHECK THAT THERE ISN'T A SHORT CIRCUIT between the two fat end pins of the module's 6-pin connector. There should not be a short circuit between pins 1 & 6. A short circuit there means your module is holding the coil on."

Attachments

• Ignition Modules.pdf
    300.6 KB · Views: 145