Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs ute soundsystem advice

Fizzman

Fizzman
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute series III 1999 v6
hey guys i just bought a 12 inch sub box made out of fibre glass to put underneath my vs ute tray.
so all thats left to do now is to buy a 12inch sub,2 amp and a good pair of 6inch splits.

what sub should i go for that is 12 inch and good quality the cheaper the better honestly lol im an apprentice. .

and what amp should i get with how many channels and watt rating.

i really want a good pair of 6 inch splits with tweeters

any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s would it be worth dynamatting doors trims and cavity were sub will sit in the tray?

Uber_Flacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 ltr Ute
Spend the money on the splits the first time so you dont have to get better ones down the road. Get an amp to run the splits and a monoblock to run the sub, get a amp that has the right RMS output for the sub, and make sure the sub isnt too deep for the box as some of them are. Dynamatting is good, highly recommended around here, I havent but will eventually. When you get into it all the little things make a big difference.

Fizzman

Fizzman
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok sweet what rms should i be looking for splits.
and also do both amps have to be bridgeable
what do i need to know about hooking them both up together
thanks.

Uber_Flacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 ltr Ute
With Splits, generally the higher the rms, the louder & or cleaner the speaker so to say. Ignore Max watts, cause those figures are generally fudged anyway. I know type R's are 110 Watt rms, and they sound nice, mine are rated to 150 Watt rms cause I got a set of AD600R's :D. As for bridgeable amps, not really, you can get 2 channel amps that put out enough per channel to run you speakers, you can also get a single monoblock to run just the sub. But if you want you can get a 4 channel amp and bridge channel 1&2 for the left and channel 3&4 for the right and then a 2 channel that you bridge for the sub.
Hooking them up is pretty simple, the +ive terminal goes to the battery +ive, the Neg is the ground and the remote goes off the back of the head unit, generally its the blue wire. One thing i will say though is DO NOT skimp of the wiring, get good thick wire, the Oxegen free stuff. Too thin a wire can be bad for sound quality and level.
Thats all I can think of at the moment, If you need gear the shopping secure bloke that runs around here, his site is on the main forum page. Many people including myself will vouch for him and the quality and price of the Gear he sells.... just a thought.

Fizzman

Fizzman
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks uber you've helped me alot you actually have no idea im going to start looking for a good pair splits now that i know what to look for.
cheers =]

Uber_Flacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 ltr Ute
not a prob mate