Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs ute starting slowly

Dog_of_a_v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 3 vs ute
So about 3 weeks ago I had to change the fuel pump on my series 3 vs v6 ute and now when I start it no matter if it's already been running or if it's early in the morning it takes ages to actually turn over now I've done the plugs lead dfi module colipacks and the air filter and it always over half a tank so what else is there oh and the starter I replaced with a brand new one about half a year ago roughly and same with alternator and battery

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
You changed the Fuel pump and now you having issues starting early morning ?
So you have then changed the Leads, DFI, coil packs, Air Filter, Battery and Alternator
Why did those items need replacing when the problem only started when you changed the Fuel Pump,

One would review the fuel pump !
Was it the correct unit you installed, OEM, Aftermarket or Compatible unit, and/or the Same Part Number
could it be the fuel filter that is the issue,
Maybe have it checked with a Tech2 or Similar to check the fuel pressure,
Don't keep throwing parts at it, until a bit of diagnosis has been done,
possibly you didn't need to spend that extra money.

Reactions: Lex

Dog_of_a_v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 3 vs ute
You changed the Fuel pump and now you having issues starting early morning ?
So you have then changed the Leads, DFI, coil packs, Air Filter, Battery and Alternator
Why did those items need replacing when the problem only started when you changed the Fuel Pump,

One would review the fuel pump !
Was it the correct unit you installed, OEM, Aftermarket or Compatible unit, and/or the Same Part Number
could it be the fuel filter that is the issue,
Maybe have it checked with a Tech2 or Similar to check the fuel pressure,
Don't keep throwing parts at it, until a bit of diagnosis has been done,
possibly you didn't need to spend that extra money.
I changed all the other stuff before I changed the fuel pump mainly cause there was a miss under load which ended up being coil packs and no matter what time or how many times it's been running during the day it still is slow to crank over

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
With what you’ve laid out, I agree with Kruse. Replace the filter then check your pump installation. Make sure you haven’t crimped or blocked a fuel hose putting the tank back in too.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
So about 3 weeks ago I had to change the fuel pump on my series 3 vs v6 ute and now when I start it no matter if it's already been running or if it's early in the morning it takes ages to actually turn over now I've done the plugs lead dfi module colipacks and the air filter and it always over half a tank so what else is there oh and the starter I replaced with a brand new one about half a year ago roughly and same with alternator and battery

The way I read it the trouble is slow cranking so either battery/terminals, starter, or connections.
And the fact you fitted a new stuff 6 months ago does not count for much because things fail, that is of course if it was 6 months ago and not longer because I sometimes think I replaced something last year and when I check receipts I find it was 4 years ago. lol
Another problem with older cars is earthing to body and radiator support and also wiring starting to break down so try bridging the pins on the starter using a screw driver if you know what you are doing with the key turned on and see if it turns over quicker.

But FFS make sure the car is not in gear when you try it and preferably have someone in the drivers seat with their foot firmly on the brake pedal.

I had an old tonner years ago and the auto lec ran a wire straight from the battery to the fuse panel under the dash and it made a huge difference to starting.
Also had to fit a relay to the starter on an old ski boat many years ago.
Some things to ponder.
Good luck.

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy manual ute and 1998 VS S pac ute
The way I read it the trouble is slow cranking so either battery/terminals, starter, or connections.
And the fact you fitted a new stuff 6 months ago does not count for much because things fail, that is of course if it was 6 months ago and not longer because I sometimes think I replaced something last year and when I check receipts I find it was 4 years ago. lol
Another problem with older cars is earthing to body and radiator support and also wiring starting to break down so try bridging the pins on the starter using a screw driver if you know what you are doing with the key turned on and see if it turns over quicker.

But FFS make sure the car is not in gear when you try it and preferably have someone in the drivers seat with their foot firmly on the brake pedal.

I had an old tonner years ago and the auto lec ran a wire straight from the battery to the fuse panel under the dash and it made a huge difference to starting.
Also had to fit a relay to the starter on an old ski boat many years ago.
Some things to ponder.
Good luck.

I have a vt which I believe has an earthing issue it sounds like a flat battery and when battery was replaced it worked for about a week so that may or may not be your issue. Always get somebody to do it or check over it if you're not sure what to do

Last edited:

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy manual ute and 1998 VS S pac ute
As said above it could also be starter/ connection issues.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Good question though. I assumed he was saying it was slow to kick, not slow to crank. Be good to clear that up.

Dog_of_a_v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 3 vs ute
Good question though. I assumed he was saying it was slow to kick, not slow to crank. Be good to clear that up.
It cranks over perfectly fine but instead of it starting straight up when u turn it over you have to sit there and hold it for a bit probably like 5 seconds roughly I'm gonna try changing the fuel filter and hopefully that fixes it

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
It cranks over perfectly fine but instead of it starting straight up when u turn it over you have to sit there and hold it for a bit probably like 5 seconds roughly I'm gonna try changing the fuel filter and hopefully that fixes it

Could it be the Actual Fuel ?
and could it be contaminated ?
Also check you have enough fuel pressure when the pump starts,
It sort of sounds like a lack of fuel to crank it for 5 seconds,
I could be wrong, but a least it will eliminate fuel restriction.