Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Ute Stereo Questions

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I just have a few questions about stereo installs in a VS ute. In mine i have a Sony 4x45 watt deck with 10 stacker, Sony Xplod 6 1/2" splits (200 watts), Alpine mono channel amp (MRP-M350 200 watt rsm) and Pheonix Gold 10" sub (T10D 250 watt running 2 ohms). The sub is installed in a custom box in the tray, under the cover of the fuel tank. A rather inovative design i might add... (not my design of course). The splits are just running off the deck with no amp. The sub is wired up off the rear channels of the deck (i think).
I was told by the installer (audiotech in tuggeranong, ACT) that the sub and amp will work well together as (i am not really good with stereo tech talk so sorry if i sound like a fool) the sub is dual voice coil and can be run at 2 ohms to produce better sound. and it works well in a small area, which is what i have)
The first time i picked it up from getting the amp and sub installed i said 'wow this sounds awesome'. And now everytime i turn it up all the way i say 'this isnt loud enough'.
What would be a better option out of the following (in your opinion)?

1. Buy a new deck with more power
2. Buy a 2 channel amp to run the splits
3. Buy 6x9's and run them off the rear channels
4. Buy 6x9's and a 4 channel amp to run all the speakers
5. Buy another sub and amp to run both the subs and get them installed behind the seats.
6. Buy a VU or VY ute (i need a ute for work) and then ill have heaps of room behind the seats!

I am pretty happ with what i have, but still... you can never have music loud enough.Does anyone out there have any ideas on what to do? Also does anyone own or know someone who owns a VR/S ute with a custom stereo job?

Any help is welcome!

J

jenkto

personally i would buy a 2 channel amp to run your splits off. ]

Would be a waste of time buying a new deck - as an amp will to 10 times as good of a job...

I dont think you would want 6x9's. Splits will put out better sound, as 6x9's are more designed to produce more bass, and if you have a sub, then the 6x9's are wasted if you know what i mean! I have 12" inch alpine sub, alpine mono amp, alpine 4 channel, alpine splits in the rear and mbquart splits in the front! and no 6x9's and it goes well.....

splits sound 10 times better when running of an amp. I suggest buying a 2 channel amp to run your splits off!!1 you will be quietly surprised

cheers

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Don't rely on your head unit to power any speakers (front, rear or subs) alone as it will be very underpowered and will eventually lead to the destruction of the speaker. Decent sound quality can only be had with decenet speakers with an amp.

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
i reckon your best idea is to run your splits off an amp, but if you are in my situtation there isn't enough outputs to run 2 amps off your deck. easiest way if you look on the back of your deck there should be atleast 1 output (if theirs 2 even better scrap my suggestion) buy 2, 1 to 2 rca cords and plug 1 to 1 output same with the other cord and run to where needed. any other ideas reply i would also like to know.

cheers

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Just a quick pic if anyone is interested in having a look at the install on my ute. Sorry its not a better pic. Its nothing special. You can see the holes either side of the stacker, thats where the sub and box are located. Its a good idea but the only problem is that because i now have 2 holes that basiclly go to the outside of the car i get alot of hot air coming through them. There was 6 smaller holes (about 1 1/2 inches) under the tray which go to the road so i pluged them up with some rubber plugs. All in all its a pretty good setup and i guess i am happy... although its still not loud enough.

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
easy one this to answer.as the other guys have said buy a 2 channel amp to run your splits,make sure you go for some descent power in it but make sure its not going to put in more watts than your speakers can handle
cheeer s fergi

R

Robbie

yeah I'm with Fergi.... definately the way to go... Changing the deck is a waste of time.... unless you want a better deck.. but I'd be buying the amp for sound..

Cheers,
Robbie

V

vsBerli

hey vsute,
Having a sony xplod H/U, I would like to suggest that only two outputs (O/P) are being used by your splits and your sub is running from an Aux type O/P separate to the others, leaving two o/p spare.
The main question is what "isnt loud enough'?
If it's BASS, well one thing doesn't help and that is the porting job into the cabin. You said you "get alot of hot air coming through them" this sounds like the porting which is suppose to deliver the low freq sound waves to the inside of the cabin isn't doing it's job and therefore the "BASS" which should be entering the cabin is half going elsewhere and could even be mixed with road noise! If this isn't the case, you could simply increase the size of the sub box and the subwoffer itself as well as increase the amp running it.
But if it's overall sound, there is a couple of options. First, like everyone else has agreed with would be to run your splits of a sutible amp (check with your installer). The second could be to use the remainder two o/p's and run another pair of 4" splits which could be situated in custom kick pannels (maybe intergerating a 4 channel amp for both splits.
ps i would have had a vs ute but the bitch nagged me in getting a family car, and yet i still don't have kids!......But least i still have my trusty HZ UTErus