Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Ute v8 problem

Anson38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore ute
Hi to all , got a issue with a v8 304 mild 355 stoker motor , mild cam , and a little head work done , new everything under the hood , except the dizzy , main problem is each time the tank drops below quarter of tank , I start it up and sounds like back firing and pinging then takes of and goes hard , things I have tried take it home let it cool down and do timing bridge 5 and 6 and start it up set timing do up dizzy double check then turn it of and pull pin bridges turn back on and it is sweet as reverse out the drive way and nail it no issues runs fine , part it up for 2 days , problem comes back reverse out and farting and piping like a backfire and comes good , just on take off it does it

Anson38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore ute
Only other thing I can see is when I bridge 5 and 6 turn the ignition on the engine light flashed 2 long 1 short in flashes like that

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) 21 is THROTTLE POSITION (TP) (SIGNAL VOLTAGE HIGH), but it doesn't seem to match with your symptoms:

"When a DTC 21 is set, the PCM does not receive the proper signal from the TP sensor, but it can still determine the TP sensor valve with a default valve based on MAP and engine RPM. If DTC 21 is set, the transmission will have: no TCC, high line pressure, harsh shifts and no 4th gear (if in hot mode)."

Anson38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore ute
Ok yeah it only flashes in series's 2 long one short and will keep doing that , yes the auto has a harsh overdrive lag but other lower gears nice and smooth put in hot mode brings the rpm up and changes are nicer , so what are thinking I should try to fix the issue I have , I haven't replaced the map sensor on fire wall ,
I'm still learning on your post Sorry if I don't understand fully what you are saying

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Are you sure it's not 1 flash and then 2?
12 is the standard 'nothing is wrong' code. Aka no codes.

Anson38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore ute
Ok I'll get new throttle body sensor , map sensor , O2 sensor , and a ob2 scan tool and let you know how I go

Anson38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore ute
One flash then another flash then a quick one

Anson38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore ute
What do you think the problem is ,I start it up runs fine revs fine just at the start user load pops then takes of , got new ignition module , coil leads spark plugs all new , I can smell like a fuel smell and when tank drops below quarter plays up , trying to add a few thing for everyone to see where the issue is ,

Anson38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore ute
No standard fuel pump and over size injectors software upgrade