Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ute Wheel Size

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
Hey guy's. i have recently bought my brother's ute off of him and would like to keep the wheel's it has.. it has 245/35/R19 all round and does not scrap or hit anything, my question is pretty simple and it is basically.. are these wheels legal or will i get defected?

I think it is 2" from stock and i know my car come's with 16" stock.. and before i finish the sentence i completely am not comparing my shitbox to a Maloo but i need to. because i know the vs maloo has 17" and i thought maybe because it is the same body ROUGHLY that it might be ok.. anyway looking forward to hearing from you guys thanks :)

p.s i live near parramatta in NSW. thanks again :D

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
have a look at your states rta site..all I could find on wheels is this

Replacement of tyres that change tyre overall diameter by more than 7% of the overall
original diameter

overall original diameter’ means the maximum outside diameter of the largest tyre
specified by the vehicle’s original manufacturer as an option for the vehicle, as shown
on the vehicle’s tyre placard.

Example requiring certification:
• Replacing 215/65R17 (712 mm overall diameter) tyres with 265/65R17 (776 mm
overall diameter) tyres, an increase in overall diameter of 64 mm, or 8%.

Example not requiring certification:
• Replacing 215/65R17 (712 mm overall diameter) tyres with 235/65R17 (738 mm
overall diameter) tyres, an increase in overall diameter of 26 mm, or 4%.

Tip: To determine if the tyres you have selected require certification you need to look at
the tyre placard fitted to the vehicle by the manufacturer. Sometimes the tyre placard
will show more than one tyre size, allowing optional tyres of that size to be fitted. If one
of the tyre sizes marked on the placard (eg 215/65R17) matches the marking on the
tyre sidewalls, certification is not required.

Replacement of wheels where the rim width exceeds the largest wheel combination
specified by the manufacturer by greater than 25 mm.

Example requiring certification:
• Fitting a wheel with a width of greater than 225 mm, when the greatest wheel width
specified by the manufacturer is 195 mm.

Example not requiring certification:
• Fitting a wheel with a width of 205 mm, when the greatest wheel width specified by
the manufacturer is 195 mm.

this info is from http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...ndards/vsi-06-light-vehicle-modifications.pdf

Last edited:

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
Had a bit more time and found what I was looking for http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-09-rev4.pdf
Your allowed to go up to 15mm over the standard wheel/tire combo on the car's tire placard..which is prob 205/65/15
Using a tire size calculator Tyre Size Calculator @ ExplorOz Articles use the Tyre Size Difference Comparison section, put in your stock tire size and then the upgraded tire size click compare.Check the diameter number in the "Differences between Wheel/Tyre 1 & 2" if its under 15mm and you meet all the other width track and load ratings you legal

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
oh really?? that's cool, some one told me it was 2" from factory, but that is mad! then i might keep these wheels :) thanks for that.

It used to be....it was changed about 10 years ago....or there abouts