Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ute - Wipers work on slowest speed only?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
Hi all.
I just purchased a 1995 VS ute, been chasing one for ages and a good condition example for rather cheap just came up. Anyway, that aside. It is in A+ condition all round with the exception of the windscreen wiper setup.

It only works on the slowest setting?

Moving the lever to the first stop starts them going slowly as expected but when you move it down to the next stop it does speed up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? What could be the issue?

My first though was some sort of control module may have gone cactus.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Could be in the switch itself. It works on resistance, the first setting has more resistance than the second that is why they go slow, but maybe the contacts are corroded or dirty and there is too much resistance on the second setting.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
Could be in the switch itself. It works on resistance, the first setting has more resistance than the second that is why they go slow, but maybe the contacts are corroded or dirty and there is too much resistance on the second setting.

Ahhh, ok. Cool. I'll rip it out on the weekend and see what I can do about giving it a once over. I was thinking it was just a multi-point switch so didn't even consider that..

Cheers. If it turns out that it is NOT the switch (which shall be proven only by buying a new one) any other ideas?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The wiper motor is a 2 speed motor and there should be no resistance in the switch (at least not from the wiring diagram and wiper motor description) so the switch is simply a multi-position switch. Mine has exactly the same problem although I can get hi speed if I force and hold the arm down so I'd say it's a mechanical problem with the switch...and probably fixable with a bit of adjustment.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
The wiper motor is a 2 speed motor and there should be no resistance in the switch (at least not from the wiring diagram and wiper motor description) so the switch is simply a multi-position switch. Mine has exactly the same problem although I can get hi speed if I force and hold the arm down so I'd say it's a mechanical problem with the switch...and probably fixable with a bit of adjustment.

Hmmm..... That makes more sense to me. However what really gets me is that the intermittent position does work either? Place it in intermittent (which I was referring to as "position 1", sorry for the confusion) and it just starts up straight at a slow, constant speed...