Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS ute with 308, technical issue

LumpyHQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Supercharged L67
Hey. I've got a vs ute project that I've put my old 308 into with a th350.
The 308 is 10:1 compression, big cam, JE forged pistons, yella terra roller rockers, decked block, arp throughout, tunnel rammed, new holley carbs, new ice ignition setup (coil, leads, dizzy, 2 step ignition module with loom) Road runner starter and so on. My issue and question is, I got it running, set timing (initial and total) tuned carbs and had it running strong. Plugs were a nice chocolate brown when checked.. took it for a drive to continue tuning and secondaries still need doing but before I could do that the car started running rough and dying when revs dropped or coming to a stop. Limped in back and its like the thing is dropping cylinders. I've checked voltage going to coil and it's good, checked coil itself and it's reading 0.4 ohm across + and -, and both primary and secondary windings read 7.61 kiloohms. Pulled rocker covers off to check rockers, lash, valve springs (because cylinders 2 and 4 exhaust pipes were cooler) they were fine, done compression test on all 8 and they are fine, new plugs, new battery. Starting to scratch my head and getting pissed off. Any ideas what may be the issue, something else I can check or eliminate? I appreciate any feedback

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I was thinking valve train issue (lifter or pushrod etc) until you said that was checked.

My next thought. What condition is the fuel/ fuel filter?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What did the plugs look like after you got home?

What timing are you running?

LumpyHQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was thinking valve train issue (lifter or pushrod etc) until you said that was checked.

My next thought. What condition is the fuel/ fuel filter?
Fresh fuel, filter is clean

LumpyHQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
What did the plugs look like after you got home?

What timing are you running?
Plugs went from chocolate brown to slightly lighter. Slightly lean but definitely not too lean. Being tunnel rammed the timing is 25 degrees advance with 8 degree mechanical advance at 3800rpm

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Plugs went from chocolate brown to slightly lighter. Slightly lean but definitely not too lean. Being tunnel rammed the timing is 25 degrees advance with 8 degree mechanical advance at 3800rpm

That's a decent amount.

Sorry, that's all I got, I don't know enough about tuning carbs.