Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v6 4 wire thermo fan

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
My vl now has a vn 304 v8 and the viscous has been removed and replaced with the vs v6 fan, there are 4 wires to the fan.

Wrom what I can see there are two black earth wires and 2 feed wires (blue/yellow and orange/blue). With the earth wires connected either of the other wires power the fan (appear to be the same speed).

Am i to assume one is water and the other would be A/C?

being that the vn normally has a viscous setup the old owner just wired a powered switch to control the fan. Im thinking of leaving that in place and hooking up a thermostatic type setup to control the other (that way incase it doesnt turn on i can turn it on manually).

My vl still has the factory a/c fan in front of the condenser. the other option would be to wire this up to one and the thermo setup to the other then removing the factory a/c fan.

IS MY LOGIC CORRECT, and can I do what im thinking

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The 2 wires (Blue/yellow and Orange/blue) are used for low and high cooling fan speeds. The Blue/yellow wire is for low speed, the Orange/blue wire is for high speed. Both wires are connected to power at the same time to make the fan switch onto high speed..

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
thanks ... tried both individually but not together. will do that tomorrow jsut to check. I suppose it steps up so that if the ac is on and the water temp needs to turn on then there is more oomph available.

and if thats the case then i will use 1 for ac and the other for water temp and remove the factory ac fan.

Q