Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Auto, running rough in drive feels like the tranny

Ispank2point0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Hi all, read too many threads to not register, this site has been a godsend so why the hell not!!

VS V6 Automatic executive... Idles fine in P and N drives fine under any load whether it be cruising or singing 'that' song... But if I'm driving along and get off the throttle from %100-%50-%10 and continue to roll, it feels like its surging or running rough. When I stop it gets a little worse and stays constantly annoying. I have been getting a feel for it and although throwing money at it (air temp sensor, replacing plugs'n'leads early, coil packs) I have noticed it feels less like a 'rough idle' that you'd expect from a motor component being out and more like a problem in the tranny.

The coil packs were just a maybe as one went before the problem started and getting no positive result It dawned on me there's no problem under load n it's the only time you'll have a problem with a coil pack. Replacing the ATS changed nothing and neither did replacing the Plugs'n'leads earlier than needed.

It honestly feels like the auto is dropping out and re engaging at a fraction of a second while idling (stopping, stopped or at speed with no throttle) and being under load it doesn't get a chance to...

Would this be "loose auto bands" or another problem in the tranny?

I have completed the first year n a half of the Australian TAFE LVA cert and I have grown up with a father who had nearly every model of Holden pre commodore days. I have learned not to try to rectify a problem till I know what to rectify but this has me stumped. All the knowledge I have and it's never enough...

Please help me!!! :D

Sincerely

Mr Ineedhelp lol

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Welcome to the forum.
First thing to do is clean the throttle body and also remove and clean the TPS -throttle position sensor. Also check that all vacuum hoses to the throttle body are OK....no splits and tight on the nipples. Check the fuel pressure regulator is OK by removing the vacuum line to it and inspect for fuel in the hose which indicates the diaphragm in the regulator is leaking. I'd also throw a can or two of injector cleaner in.
These are all cheap checks you can do yourself. I would doubt very much that it is transmission related but to put your mind at rest check the fluid level in the trans with engine running and in N/P - make sure it is red and not burnt.
Like all car problems , it a process of elimination.
Good Luck and report back on what you find so that others on the forum with a similar problem can learn from you.