Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Bottom Radiator Hose Housing

up2spec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
I'm a little confused about the water pump and the bottom radiator hose on my VS (V6). The pipe where the bottom radiator hose connects onto the engine is very corroded and is source of coolant leaks I have been having. So it must be replaced.

So I rang supercheap and asked for a "bottom radiator hose housing" and the guy seemed puzzled and told me that there was no such thing. He said that the bottom hose connects directly to the water pump.

I went and had another look (I have not yet pulled anything off the engine) and it is too hard to see if they are a single unit.

I have looked at some water pumps on ebay and from the images there doesn't seem to be a housing to connect the hose to, the water pump seems to be only an impeller that connects into the block.

So is there a bottom hose housing? Or does it go by another name? The cast alloy/iron pipe thingo that the engine side of the bottom radiator hose clamps onto....? Surely this can be replaced...?

up2spec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
update

I just rang two different holden parts places. The first guy told me it was a thing called a Water Pipe ($27) with an O-ring ($7). This sounded plausible. So I rang another place to confirm and he told me that I need to replace the entire front timing cover ($1000 !!!!).

Why is this so hard...? Has anone else ever done this?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Pretty sure you do need the entire front timing cover unfortunately....however there is always more than one way to skin a cat and you should be able to get a good one from a wrecker for a fraction of the new price.
I've seen badly corroded outlets repaired with epoxy or similar - you need to remove all the white powdery crap and then fill the holes/craters etc. Then use Sikaflex liberally on the housing and hose when you slip it back on....and try to slip it on further than normal and use 2 hoseclamps.
Good Luck.