Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Calais - engine stumbling on hard acceleration

CookedSock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais, VP Berlina
Yesterday I had a Redback 2.5" cat back system installed on my VS V6. Prior to this I had no issues on acceleration.

After the install, the car will drive fine under 'normal' suburban driving, using smooth acceleration. However when I go to accelerate hard, such as entering the freeway, overtaking, or 'spirited' acceleration for the fun of it, the engine stumbles and farts until I back off a bit.

Plugs and leads were replaced in the last month, air filter cleaned. Doesn't sound like any kind of leak from exhaust system.

Other than the new exhaust setup, no other changes - engine stock as a rock.

Any thoughts based on the above it could be?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Could be 1 of the coil pack on their way out.
You could get a good used coil and swap it out 1 at a time until fixed.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Did they take the wrapping off the new pipe, sounds like it cant get rid of the gases faster enough, could be a coil funny how it does it now and not before the change, mine did that when my resonator collapsed also when I was low on gas. Leads not earthing out are they? I wounder if a rag or something got inside the pipe?

CookedSock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais, VP Berlina
Thanks all, I found the issue - a weak spark on number 4 (ie lead wasn't on the spark plug far enough). I'd say that I never noticed it before the exhaust install, as I never usually drive the car that hard.