Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Camshaft & and lifter's change

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Hi every one my next project on the VS is to change the Camshaft & and lifter's i cam across this website and just wanted to know if these (COMP Cams: High Energy™, 268H: Cam & Lifters)
would be fine to put in the next thing is how do you change it the most i have taken off a motor was to change the inlet manifold gaskets about to weeks ago and if/when i change them will i have to get a tune will i have to do anything like the timing chain ?

thanks Darcy

Bro might wanna search for cam and lifters for a your V6 not a V8

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
I'm just a little curious about doing the double gasket for the timing cover.

Can you still get the five bolts back in under the cover or do the holes in the sump need to be slotted to account for the second gasket?

Off the top of my head the GM timing cover gaskets are approx 0.040" (approx 1mm) thick and given the sump bolts are not the greatest tolerance fit you shouldn't have any dramas, but yes worst case scenario it may require a very minor elongation of the front holes in the sump.

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
@ Munz Bro might wanna search for cam and lifters for a your V6 not a V8
Thanks for that buddy didn't even think about it till you told me LOL

Iicudigi

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 vy wagon.
Grab yourself a Gregory's manual. Very detailed and should make it reasonably straight forward if you're competent on the tools. That cam is not that big, so I don't think it would warrant a double row timing chain if you wanted to spare the expense as it should be fine with the stock 90lb spring seat pressure. The balance shaft must also be disabled or removed with a double roller. A new single row chain would be very wise though. Just make sure that cam actually suits the ecotec as it says its to suit a hydraulic flat tappet lifter, which the ecotec isn't, they're a hydraulic roller lifter.
Because its only small, it should run 'ok' on the stock tune, but of course would perform best with a tune to suit.
Easiest to change with the motor out of the car as the cam feeds in from the front. I've not done it this way, but you could also probably do it in the car if you removed everything infront of the motor, i.e. front bar, fan, radiator and ac condensor (yes this means you lose your ac gas).
Briefly though, you'd need to remove plenum, inlet manifold, alternator, heater pipes, rocker covers, rockers and pushrods, lifters, harmonic balancer, timing cover, timing chain and tensioner. Thats the bulk of it off the top of my head. Bear in mind too that with the stock timing chain and keyways with an aftermarket cam there is no ability to advance or retard the timing to dial it in and therefore by just installing it 'dot to dot' you're relying on the cam to be ground 100% where it should (which they're often not).
Personally though i'd go a little bigger than that cam for the effort involved. Keep in mind though a bigger cam requires more supporting mods if you want it to last and perform its best.
Hope that gives you a start.
Cheers