Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 constant high idle

moocow

moo_c0w
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman LS1 manual HBD
Hey guys,

I have a 4.2L stroked ecotec which has had a manual conversion including the ecu and loom.
Needs a tune or memcal to suit the engine mods (another problem entirely) but it was idling fine to start with. After a month or so of being on the road it started idling high. Upon start up it idles normally after the initial warm up but after being driven, even only 100 metres or so, it idles around 1500rpm. When I unplug the maf sensor, it drops back to where it should be and stays there until I plug the maf back in. I have changed the iac, the tps, the maf (twice) and cleaned the throttle body. Has standard air intake with new filter so no filter oil on current maf.
I've searched the forum and google and can't find anything that will help me.
What else could it be?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
How's your throttle cable adjustment? When you replaced your iac did you set the rod length? When replacing tps did you lube the butterfly hinge? (I had the same problem found out it was gummed up and virtually sticking slash not returning properly)

What's your speed sensor situation? Is the car reading speed? Vss issues will cause this and stalling

What's the condition of your loom? Paying attention to plug ends (where the wires join the plug) and earths

On a side note how do you rate the stroker as a modification? Does it go much better? What's fuel consumption like? You probably did a cam at the same time I'm guessing which one?

moocow

moo_c0w
Reaction score
Members Ride
So last night I replaced a cracked vacuum hose, a loose vacuum hose, tightened a loose o2 sensor, undid the two nuts holding the throttle cable in place so it was slack and then did them up again, and reset the ecu. Car idles as it should now :) so far it seems little better on fuel too.

When I got the manual conversion it had no speed sensor. I bought a new one and it worked for a while. Now it only works about 5% of the time ffs

I have to tune it before I can say whether it was worthwhile.
Anyone know of somewhere I can get an ecu or memcal without spending $1000??

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I got a tune for my vs running ev6 injectors, manifold insulator, 70psi fuel reg, and exhaust etc made quite a difference! I got a mail order from Nigel (the1) pm him that's all you need just a mail order memcal and an ALdL cable and tuner pro (to send him a data log)

moocow

moo_c0w
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey sorry life's been a bit all over the place lately.
I'll pm him and see how I go then :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I recommend The1 too, he's very good.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

moocow

moo_c0w
Reaction score
Members Ride
I messaged the1 but he said he can't do it for my mods. Anyone else?