Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 ECU questions - running in a Buggy

jamietoconnell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
Hi,

I've had a search for existing info that has already been posted to save asking question that have already been answered but I couldn't find what I was after.

I'm trying to build a buggy with VS V6 (1996) engine, before I get to involved I wanted to figure a few things out.

My question is this: I have a VS V6 (1996) engine, gearbox (auto), loom and ECU (16241628 3.8L AUT PCM). Is it possible to get the engine running from the ECU in a buggy? My concern is that the ECU might need the signal from the transponder key before it starts. What other issues am I'm likely to encounter? Is there other ECU dependencies, like the computer running through the dash display to work correctly?

Any advice would be great

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Message 'The1' to see what he can do for you. his tunes are amazing and he is extremely helpful.
How good are you at auto elec work?

jamietoconnell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
Thanks for the replies, I'll get in touch with 'The1'. I'm pretty comfortable with auto elec, pretty comfortable with comp' programming too, and it seems like a memcal/eprom treatment might be the solution. I did some more research and as far as I can tell it is from only from the VT on that the ECU had to be run through the dash display to function correctly, I might be wrong about this though.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
You are correct; only from VT on. Other than the VATS I can't think of anything that you will need that is done outside the PCM. Maybe the speedometer, if you want/need that and can't arrange an alternative?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
vs pcm just disable vats in the memcal, done.

Not sure what you mean dash display? You can run VT PCM's without any cluster