Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Engine Mounts

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
Hi there, getting a pink slip my mechanic told me I need to replace the engine mounts.
I was going to have a go and do it myself.

I have read up about doing it on here and how to make the special tool etc but what I wanted to know is there any difference in quality between the name brands and the cheaper ebay ones?

There seems to be a mackay brand with are more expensive or do they come out of the same factory.

Cheers.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There are 2 basic types, the original style hydraulic (oil filled) mount and the cheaper solid rubber mount. IMHO if you want factory smoothness get the more expensive hydraulic type mount.

It can be a real prick of a job to do the mounts.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There are aftermarket typle filled ones. I bought a pair and they are fine 18 months on. The pick would be genuine if they can still be bought. There are some parts that are best replaced with genuine as very few aftermarket bits come close, in quality.
Like Immortality said it's a big job. Took my mech over 5hrs to do both.

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
Took a day about 8 hours to do mine, by a mechanic mate. Biggest issue was the bolts were tight! I mean tight! Heads burred and Mick thought the bolts were made of pewter.had to burn a few off, luckily the bottom bolts on the mount. A bit of a juggle to get them back. Don’t do both at once. Losses both so you can get some movement of the engine. We made up a tool shown in a previous post. A socket welded to a cut off 15mm ring Spanner.