Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v6 engine problems

spu1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
\vs commodore
hey there
just wondering my commodore is really under performing, well missing for example im on the highway and use the pedal and the car starts to jolt like its loosing engine power... when its cold it runs pretty rough and i have staled it couple of times being a auto it shouldnt happen.. it goes threw more oil than normal.. no oil in the coolant.. it used to run on gas now doesnt even run at all on it.. could it be a gasket?? it has 352000 on da clock so i no its old is it worth replacing the engine or replacing the parts
thanx

spu1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
\vs commodore
will definatly have a look tomorrow and use ur chart thanx for that

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
well alright so the mechanic said it had a cracked head.....you need to perform a Compression Test using a 'Cylinder Leak Tester Kit'...

If the dry compression test are not within specs then you have to perform a wet compression test aswell...

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
get a second/third opinion (don't tell them you were told it's a cracked head), cast iron heads are pretty much bullet proof......... takes quite a lot of punishment to crack one (eg: cooking the engine with no coolant and adding cold water while it's still hot).

Check for fault codes, first thing to do and will help diagnose.

Start the engine and unplug each injector 1 at a time and then plug it back in, see if the idle changes, starts to run rougher and missing is a good sign that the cylinder is working correctly, if there is no change then take note what cylinder/cylinders aren't performing correctly.

Spray come carby cleaner, wd40, crc etc etc around the intake manifold where it meets the head if you find a cylinder not changing the characteristics much in the previous test, easiest way to look for an intake gasket leak without pulling things apart.

pull each spark plug out and make note of what cylinder it came from, check the condition for signs that a cylinder isn't firing correctly (black or white is bad, brownish is good)

start with this and see what happens.

in regards to the high oil consumption, does it blow a lot of blue smoke? while checking the spark plugs, were any covered in black carbon?
how bad are the oil leaks? if it's like most v6's and marks its territory where ever it's parked then this could be where the oil is going.
does it get regular services (say every 5000 km's? for a high km, worn engine earlier services are a good idea) try using a thicker named brand oil (say 20w60 or 20w70 on the next service instead of 20w50)

newvsowner

Reaction score
Members Ride
JG Cruze
i had a similar issue, had plugs and leads changed, and the problem was fixed. This is a relatively cheap place to start!

spu1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
\vs commodore
no blue or black smoke either just white when its cold

spu1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
\vs commodore
no the leads +sparkys havnt been changed so ill try that out oil consumption isnt too bad but oil lasts 2-3 months than i have to fill it up again... and the oil is mostly sitting around the oil filter area but i have replaced the oil filter it stopped doing it for a month than started leaking again so is that a front engine seal... as being a student i have to do alot of things myself or my father helps with my car.. but he has a code reader for the car so i might try and get him to use that cheers