Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Exhaust - Honest Answers Please!

lordtyranus

Lord Tyranus
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ COMMODORE
Hello all :)

I'm looking at doing a complete 2 1/2" exhaust on my ecotec, including extractors...all in stainless...so this is my question: living in Adelaide, we don't have roadworthy inspections. So, honestly, has anyone or does anyone have the shell of a catalyctic converter with just a 2 1/2 inch pipe running straight through it (no mesh, just a fake shell)? Highly illegal I know, but just wondering...does it do any harm to the engine management side of things, and does it drop back pressure too much?

Some serious input please guys...I know this is cheeky but I have this on a VN once and it went much harder. Ecotec though...I have no idea.

The car has a cold air intake only at the moment, and no forced induction...just curious do I really need the cat????

Any thoughts? Cheers guys :thumbsup:

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I have a similar setup, however I don't have a rear muffler or resinator. If you don't have roadworthy inspections, how does the state ensure your car is RW?

lordtyranus

Lord Tyranus
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ COMMODORE
We just go in and re-register...no mechanics cert. or anything! You'd be amazed at some of the old heaps driving around here :)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hello all :)

I'm looking at doing a complete 2 1/2" exhaust on my ecotec, including extractors...all in stainless...so this is my question: living in Adelaide, we don't have roadworthy inspections. So, honestly, has anyone or does anyone have the shell of a catalyctic converter with just a 2 1/2 inch pipe running straight through it (no mesh, just a fake shell)? Highly illegal I know, but just wondering...does it do any harm to the engine management side of things, and does it drop back pressure too much?

Some serious input please guys...I know this is cheeky but I have this on a VN once and it went much harder. Ecotec though...I have no idea.

The car has a cold air intake only at the moment, and no forced induction...just curious do I really need the cat????

Any thoughts? Cheers guys :thumbsup:

The answer is no but why would you want to risk a massive fine so that you can point out to your mates that you have a faker cat??? You aren't making your car go any faster. I am assuming you are in Aus - in which case yes you need a cat. Where do you blokes get these ideas? :bang:

Reaper

lordtyranus

Lord Tyranus
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ COMMODORE
Why would I want to show it off to my mates? It runs a pipe through the guts of the cat so it still looks legal if it is ever checked visually. The idea is to remove the constriction from the centre of the c/c...ever seen a cross section of a standard one? Quite constrictive yes? Or do you think they sell expensive high flow cats for fun...oh hang on...is it to increase AIR FLOW?!?!?

Yep, you tell it like it is...and i'll keep laughing mate :thumbsup:

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
You are an idiot. I cannot believe anyone still feels the need to run an exhaust without a catalytic converter. Your car does NOT 'go much harder' without one, you'd be lucky if there's 1/2 hp difference. If the dyno queens can run almost 2000rwhp through a pair of catalytic converters, no reason why you can't. If you're concerned about flow, waste some money on a highflow one which will make no difference anyway, or backdate to a VN/VP one because they flow extremely well iirc.

Anyone who bashes out a catalytic converter is a ****head in my books, you're making your car stink and spew out noxious ****ing chemicals, doing 1000 cars' worth of environmental damage in the proces. Grow up, leave your cat(s) in tact.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
The idea is to remove the constriction from the centre of the c/c...ever seen a cross section of a standard one? Quite constrictive yes? Or do you think they sell expensive high flow cats for fun...oh hang on...is it to increase AIR FLOW?!?!?
You obviously haven't seen the testing results that prove the Commodore (particularly VN/P and LS1 models) catalytic converters flow extremely well, as well as many 'high-flow' variants. Not every product out there is worth the money for every car. Don't assume that just because it exists it's an upgrade; think of the electric superchargers on ebay. Your air flow will increase two fifths of **** all with no catalytic converter.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Why would I want to show it off to my mates? It runs a pipe through the guts of the cat so it still looks legal if it is ever checked visually. The idea is to remove the constriction from the centre of the c/c...ever seen a cross section of a standard one? Quite constrictive yes? Or do you think they sell expensive high flow cats for fun...oh hang on...is it to increase AIR FLOW?!?!?

Yep, you tell it like it is...and i'll keep laughing mate :thumbsup:

If you think your stock boat anchor pumps enough air to trouble a stock cat then you are kidding yourself.

Reaper

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Reaper and Savage are right mate, even on light boost that cat isn't a restriction yet.

I'm also wondering about.

"complete 2 1/2" exhaust on my ecotec, including extractors"

Good luck getting 3 X 2 1/2 pipes past the steering system on the drivers, stick with some pacies, unless your pretty good with tube bending and welding custom extractors can get real messy.

Otherwise.

CAI, full exhaust (With a functional cat or even two, one per bank) and a cam or something and you migt be onto a fun car there, sounds like the starting point for some light boost though tbh.

In a few weeks i'll be putting a twin 2 1/4 system into my car, one straight through muffler and one hot dog resi on each pipe, twin cats as well, oh and I allready have pacies, if that goes well, maybe you should consider that path :p

lordtyranus

Lord Tyranus
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ COMMODORE
Cheers Danny, good to get some 'Intelligent' feedback at last...being called an idiot by some typing hero with an attitude doesn't go down well with me on a monday morning :whistling. Good luck with your exhaust, be keen to know how it goes :)