Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v6 head gasket??

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
My vs v6 commodore is losing coolant, and i haven't seen any major leaks. I have seen water dripping off the bottom of the sump, like it had come down from the water pump. It doesn't happen all the time though.
I have also noticed that where you put the engine oil in, there is some water in there. This has made me think that water could be getting through the head or gasket. Is there any way to check definately wat is wrong?

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
while the car running, open the radiator cap (when car in cold) and see if any bubbles in the neck of the radiator. Also check welsh plugs, they tend to leak aswell. Usually it would be a milky colour when the coolant mixes with oil.

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
i did rev the engine with the radiator cap off and a few bubbles came up at first, but then the level just lowered the more i revved it with no bubbles coming up. There is a small amount of milky oil on the cap, but not a lot (I did have a warped head on a 202 engine from a vh commodore that had a lot of milky oil). There isn't any milky oil on the oil level stick.

snowy213

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss commodore
hi my girlfriends vs v6 had oil in the water wasnt a head gasket just the inlet manifold gasket was broken head gaskets were ok but did them any wasnt bubling out the radiator was just using water filling the sump up.

matt_didg

Hobo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
If you can get a pressure tester on your radiator then you can see where its leaking from, if you can't get hold of one you could always pull the sump plug out for a sec, if theres any water in your oil that hasn't mixed it will be at the bottom (the oil floats on top). And a compression test on the cylinders will tell you if you'v got a blown head gasket.