Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 intermittent miss/stumble

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi All,

Missus VS V6 (auto) has developed an intermittent miss/stumble.

First started doing it only at idle but cleared as soon as you gave it some revs, now it's doing at idle and under load, however it seems to clear itself randomly and then run fine. Car has 202,000km's and MACE bolts on except high ratio rockers

Just before the problems started I had changed the oil filter (high flow unit) and filled the car with 20litres from a fuel container that has been in the garage for about a week. Missus has commented that the car felt gutless in the last week (full tank of 91 gas last weekend, same batch as the 20litre fuel container). I had considered a batch of bad fuel but I can't see it causing these issues?

About the only thing that hasn't been changed on the engine in the last couple of years is the CAS, everything else has been changed. Checked the fuel pressure and it seems fine at about 40psi at idle. Seeing about 14volts at idle at the battery so I don't think it's a voltage issue either.

I have a new fuel filter that I'll fit as soon as it stops raining.

Thoughts??

Cheers

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Check to see if theres any logged error codes.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I should. I haven't seem the engine check light come on at all. This car has a history of not logging fault codes :(

edit:no codes showing (using tunerpro). I've just been for a spin around the block and the fault hasn't occurred. sitting in the driveway, idling (in drive) trying to see if it will re-occur as I type (gotta love wi-fi).

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Could water in the fuel tank cause this problem?

Went for a 10 minute drive, idled it in the drive for another 5 minutes and the fault hasn't re-occurred

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well it's bloody odd. since it almost died on Sunday arvo it hasn't missed a beat.

It's got me beat but i'll take it.

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Yeh i got a simmluar issue with my VX.
But mine only has the miss just after it crank's over, One rev and it's all good.
Has only done it twice, Once about 4 week's ago, Then again today.

Thing's like this are a pain, Becuase it happend's so rare it's hard to fault the issue.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well it's an odd one, the missus says it's done it again once when she was stuck on the motorway over a week ago and has run flawless since. Maybe it was just some dodgy fuel (fingers crossed)as we filled at a different servo and have run a full tank since.

Yeh i got a simmluar issue with my VX.
But mine only has the miss just after it crank's over, One rev and it's all good.
Has only done it twice, Once about 4 week's ago, Then again today.

Thing's like this are a pain, Becuase it happend's so rare it's hard to fault the issue.

Hopefully you get your problem sorted. Check your plugs, and run some injector cleaner :)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Pour about 0.5l of methylated spirits into the fuel tank to remove any water that may be present.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pour about 0.5l of methylated spirits into the fuel tank to remove any water that may be present.

Yeah, that had crossed my mind, although I though i'd use some E10 form gull as it should also absorb any water that may be present in tank.

Cheers

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well isn't that odd, just did it again this arvo, as the engine returned to idle it seemed to stumble/miss a bit. as soon as I gave it some throttle it cleared. The fuel gauge is showing about 1/8 so nearly empty. It might be some crap in the fuel tank???