Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Manual Conversion Parts List

bradleyg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hi all,
I currently drive a 1996 V6 VS, and am looking to throw out the auto and convert it to a manual.
To get the best idea of how much this would cost me, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with putting together a parts list so I know everything I'll need.
Thanks Guys!
- Brad

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Have a search around, it's been covered pretty extensively. The parts list will be almost identical between as the VN-VR list, just Ecotec equivalents.

IMHO, it's not really worth doing unless you can get your hands on a complete manual wreck. Chasing the parts down piece by piece is time consuming and much more expensive.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Buy a whole manual vs and swap everything over. At least then you'll be able to test the box beforehand... I've made the mistake.

Manual conversions aren't worth it IMO unless you're going to put at least 3.7 diff gears in. With 3.08 gears and the manual, I got approx 80-100km more from a tank of fuel too. But it's an auto again now cause I'm too lazy to change gears (and my getrag was fkd so I sold it)

Anyway, obviously you'll need:
gearbox - make sure it's a t5
Manual y piece
New spigot bush
New clutch and flywheel
New flywheel bolts
Manual computer/gearbox loom
Pedal box/cable
Front half of tailshaft
Gearbox oil
Shifter plate and console insert/surround

I'm sure there's more that I've missed, but there are heaps of threads if you do a search on here.

Fwiw, from my experience I'd just enjoy it how it is until you can afford something newer, and then buy a manual car if you still want one.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
New throw out / clutch release bearing, x member, inspection cover as well, but as stated buy a whole car from the auctions much cheaper n easier or just buy a car that's factory manual ;)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It's worth mentioning, if you buy a wreck make sure it's a VS. Pre-VS have a differently weighted flywheel and different loom/ECU.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep afaik, ecotecs are internally balanced and have a neutrally balanced flywheel. The buicks use the flywheel/flexplate to balance the rotating mass.