Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 no spark

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by vombil, Feb 9, 2019.

1. vombil

vombil Member

Members Ride:
    VS V8 UTE
    gday guys

so i bought a VS that was a bit of a basket case and was in the midst of having motor removed. I found the starter motor power cable had melted to the solenoid so I changed that out (suss as to what caused this and wiring is a bit sh&t really). I got the motor running by running a wire from starter directly to battery. Everything seemed OK but then I switched it back on after fitting the extractors and it won't fire. There's no spark. Plenty of fuel. Kinda slow to crank. Battery will start another VS so I'm confident the battery is OK. Interestingly the battery leads get red hot after cranking! TIA

2. CCCMikey

CCCMikey Active Member

Members Ride:
    VS '95. LPG. 413,000KM
    I suspect the starter is internally shorted and is drawing too much current, hence the slow crank and the hot cables. Either that or there's some reason that the motor is unusually hard to crank.

3. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    If the starter cable is getting hot then the brushes in the starter motor are probably worn out.

4. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Worn out starter and also check the termination of all the leads including the earth cables. A bad connection will cause similar symptoms.