Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 no spark

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
gday guys

so i bought a VS that was a bit of a basket case and was in the midst of having motor removed. I found the starter motor power cable had melted to the solenoid so I changed that out (suss as to what caused this and wiring is a bit sh&t really). I got the motor running by running a wire from starter directly to battery. Everything seemed OK but then I switched it back on after fitting the extractors and it won't fire. There's no spark. Plenty of fuel. Kinda slow to crank. Battery will start another VS so I'm confident the battery is OK. Interestingly the battery leads get red hot after cranking! TIA

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
I suspect the starter is internally shorted and is drawing too much current, hence the slow crank and the hot cables. Either that or there's some reason that the motor is unusually hard to crank.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the starter cable is getting hot then the brushes in the starter motor are probably worn out.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Worn out starter and also check the termination of all the leads including the earth cables. A bad connection will cause similar symptoms.