Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 not starting

HSV ute

5.0Ltr UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Ute
Hi all,
I'm in need of some advice. I have a 96 VS sedan that wont start. I have checked the normal things and have come down to the EFI system. If I spray some "Start ya Bastard" down the air cleaner it fires. It wont run on it but it's something. I have fuel up to the injectors and that's where I'm at.
Can anyone give me some direction on what to do next and where the EFI module etc is located. I have no book.

Thanks in advance

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Having fuel at the injectors doesn't mean they will inject fuel as it needs to be at the correct pressure...too low and it won't squirt. Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you first turn the key? ....if not check the relays under the bonnet - swap the EFI and fuel pump one with another...also check fuses. The fuel filter could be blocked and stopping fuel getting pumped or the pump might be buggered - sometimes you can restart the pump by thumping gently on the bottom of the tank - this jolts the pump.
Try reading the error codes which is easy - I'll attach the link. Hope this helps you out.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307

HSV ute

5.0Ltr UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Ute
Thanks, I have changed the relay and the pump is working when turning on the key. it stops when the pressure is up (I guess). I haven't done the code check yet. is there anything other than the pump problem as a "common" fault?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
coil packs and dfi module are another, when mine went it would fire sometimes but wouldn't run, the dfi board sits under the coil packs.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Do that codes check otherwise you are shooting blind. You also may need to get your battery charged - Commodores need a good battery plus clean tight terminals.
Re the fuel pump working - it will run for about 2 secs when you first turn the key on to "prime" the fuel lines (the ECU does this automatically), however this does not always mean that the lines are actually "primed" - if the fuel filter is blocked, the fuel pump cannot supply enough fuel to prime the fuel lines to a pressure sufficient to allow the injectors to squirt the fuel into the cylinders. New filters are under $20 and should be changed every 2 years according to the factory.

HSV ute

5.0Ltr UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Ute
Yep, I ave done the battery terminals and put in a brand new battery. with regards to fuel pressure, I removed the input line and turned the key. I had a very good stream of fuel at the rail.I will replace the filter (if I can find it) I beleive this is located along the chassis rail? Will do the code check tomorrow night and see what code comes up.

Thanks for all your input.

HSV ute

5.0Ltr UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Ute
ok i have checked for codes and the only code that came out was 31. (and12) I have narrowed it down to that I have no injector pulse. I have power at the injector and fuel.
If I spray aero start in the aircleaner it will fire.
So where to now? EFI module, Computer? HELP

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
31 is vehicle anti theft signal missing so it wont go without that signal immobiliser problem somewhere

boults_4545

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94
any more luck with this? I have the same symptoms but no codes (except 12).
Cheers,

boults_4545

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94
Also, did you simply disconnect the fuel line to fuel rail and switch the ingnition to 'on' to test for flow to the fuel rail?

Cheers,