Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

sl33per

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
95 VS Executive
ahhhh what a good thing to find and infact may have fixed the problem in my vs.
the previous owner got sick of the car always having a flat battery and not being able to start it up.
sometimes he had the battery on charge all night, and still just starts!!
anyway, he had a sub, amp, 6x9s and 6 splits in the car of his own.
at first i thought it may have been the amp and all the rest not wired correctly and sucking the power.
since my old man works at ahem, ford *cough*, hes pretty damn handy under the bonnet. he agreed with me but then finding out the battery itself is 4 yrs old :| amazed us that previous owners mechanic didnt pick this up!
and since owning the car ive been on here nearly every night looking all things vs related lol, come across this, let the old man in on the story and tonight we had a look, the red washer between the altenator and the wire was brittle as sh!t and broke as we undone the nut..doesnt help either when the crimped terminal is for a 30mm square wire (according the old man, electronics lingo?? lol)
but yeh, looks hideous, huge terminal for a wire that would be near 3/8inch big...
lol.
so yeh, thanks for the heads up on the wire :)
might just be the reason the alternator cant keep up/hold charge!!
along with a 4yr old battery and possibly dodgy wiring to the amp...
gees the previous owner i reckon has the brains the size of a pin head -_-

sl33per

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
I just read this yesterday, and I swear to God, it just happened to me on the way to work!

Son of a bitch.

I recommend everyone check it out. Mine had done 215,000 so I was lucky I guess.
Now I gotta find the best way to replace it so it doesn't happen again.

VRfan0dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
Mags scratches???

I have not long purchased a vr and it has been trashed.... I am wondering if there is anyway to remove DEEP scratches from the mags??? Can any1 help my please
Harry

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
I have not long purchased a vr and it has been trashed.... I am wondering if there is anyway to remove DEEP scratches from the mags??? Can any1 help my please
Harry

And this is relevant to this thread, how????

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
As for the original post, Current draw from the alternator is the only thing that will burn a wire. It would be interesting to know about all the people who have had trouble, if they do alot of night driving with the lights on alot or have spot lights or other high current drawing things like very large stereos or even a hard to start cars, or using the battery alot when the engine is not started. e.g. listening to radio all day while at work ect.. then requiring alot of charge to replenish the battery. I would think cars in these category's would be of a higher risk of having this wire burnt.

I am in this exact category and it just happened to me.
I drive a couple of hours every 2nd day with headlights on full and often listen to my stereo during lunch while the car is off...

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII 5.7 Calais, VS SS SII HSV Enhanced
ive had my vs for bout 3 4 weeks now. with 190 on the clock. previous owner said he had problems but replaced it with a v8 alternator simply cos it lasts longer when cars turned off & so forth...

any truth to this?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
nar no truth, as long as the bushes are fine, the V6 alt is more than adequate. doesnt matter how many times u turn it on and off.

flossy.08

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs alclaim II
yeah i had that happen to my when i first got my vs

i just re made the lug and re did it ...

hasent had a problem since

but other problems have risen

rawwwr n stuff