Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by markovr, Jan 10, 2005.

1. LS1 James

LS1 James Donates His Member

Members Ride:
    VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
    Dafuq?????

2. sapeter

sapeter New Member

Members Ride:
    1998 Vt Commodore 50th anniversary Edition
    I will defintely check mine then, rather be safe then sorry. great info on all this

3. crazzee85

crazzee85 New Member

Members Ride:
    1996 VS Berlina S2
    In reference to alternator problems

4. vr com

vr com New Member

Members Ride:
    94 vr
    I had the same prob with alternater wire that had worn through due to rubbing. One day my gear box suddenly would go into a state of maddness and change really heavily and sometimes hold gears etc. Took it to holden(big mistake!!!i know) they told me to replace gear box. Well anger set in and a couple of days later with a coffe and smoke i took my time and looked over the car propely and found this worn wire was arc-ing onto my block. 10 winds of inso tape and problem solved that was 5 years ago. It's worth a good look yourself at things before holden get there mits on it.

5. trip01

trip01 New Member

Members Ride:
    vs2 berlina 96 3.8 auto hsv plated
    Auto elec changed my wire over whilst doing another job. Good man knew about this potential problem...Dave

6. chili

chili New Member

Had the exact same issue on Xmas Eve(at local shopping centre carpark). It took 5 days to rectify, as the holiday season saw everything closed, so no access to parts etc. Horrendously poor design and fitment IMHO.
    As an aside, since fixing this problem the Airbag light on the dash is now illuminated whenever the car is being driven. Is this a common fault also(and if so, what is the solution)???

7. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
  8. sprayzz

sprayzz sprayzz

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    i had the same problem heading up to townsville about 2am in the morning middle of nowhere the car lost power , i pulled over and the car started to rev on it's own so it didnt stall, so before it over heated i stopped the car and yeah the lead behind the altinator, so fixed it, but obviously my battery was flat , so i had to flag down someone and jump me, luckely i got the nexted car to pass to pull over, at night in the middle of nowere is not very nice, so my advice aswell always check them before a trip and always carrt a self jump starter pack

9. lpcustom

lpcustom New Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore executive v6
    Just had the same problem with my vs v6.

A few days ago I was driving with the aircon on and stereo and the stereo started dying and the air con to, the car then started going like a pig and not shifting gears.
    Put another battery, was good for 2 days then same thing.
    Checked the battery with a multi meter the alternator wasnt charging, checked the red wire going to the alternator and the nut holding on was loose.
    Undid the nut and took off the washers etc and the eye terminal fell off.
    The cable and insulation is burnt and the grey plastic insulator between the terminal and the alternator housing just crumbled to pieces.
    Changed the terminal and made up an insulator from bake lite, seems ok now and is charging the battery at 14.3 volts.
    I think I will have to replace the whole wire with a heavier gauge and better terminals.

Any idea where I can get a new insulator ?

Not very impressed considering this is such a common problem.

Thanks.

10. Pollushon

Pollushon Boost gives me a bar....

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    I feel ripped off. My VS did this with only 120k on the clock! That said it took 5 minutes to figure out what went wrong, bugger took the alternator with it though.

11. leolass

leolass New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina '95
    WOW thanks for the info, I will go and have a look too. I was just about to post about the same issue.
    this has happened to me twice in the last week, prior to that the alternator died so I got another one and since then the stalling has been happening. its like it runs out of petrol, chug chug then pfft dead! I have been lucky (or its a dif prob) but after waiting 15 mins or so it will re start. I was told by the lovely young men that helped push me from the middle of the intersection that if the leads are starting to break down this will happen also. I know was told the coil will probably need replacing when I bought the car.

12. vs-lover

vs-lover Active Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    The clunking will most likely be your sway bar link pushing its way through the mounting point on the stut. This is common and what happens is that the quality of metal used on both the metal washers and the sway bar link (stablink) are rather poor and over time the stablink pushes its way through the washer allowing the stablink to move up and down through the mount point on the strut. I'll London to a brick that this is your issue.

13. imrhoss

imrhoss Member

Members Ride:
    1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
    I'm about two days late for this :( just happened to me 500km from home. Cable barley holding by a couple of copper wires. Ended up blowing my alternator just at My driveway. Luckily I've got a couple of spare alternators at home.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

14. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    You are lucky mate engine fires are nasty.

15. imrhoss

imrhoss Member

Members Ride:
    1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
    Tell me about it! Nearly burnt my car down in the garage because I forgot to disconnect the battery when I was working on the starter motor. Made contact with positive and negative, car cranked cooked the battery and the 60 amp main fuse. Smoke was everywhere. The battery terminals glowed bright red. Put them out straight away while my mate disconnected stuff. Had he not been there, car would have burnt down. Burnt the whole wiring loom. Not fun.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

16. Brendoandbree

Brendoandbree New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Series II Statesman
    Thanks heaps Markovr! Battery, car wouldn't start then Imfound this post. Stripped the wire back and sure enough it was burnt out!
    Champ!!

17. LSBIAN

LSBIAN New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore Acclaim S2 ASV Signature
    Ah sweet, thanks for the info. I shall be checking out my car soon then for this issue. I have been having troubles with batteries and electrical stuff so this might be my answer. Mad as, thanks heaps. :)

18. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore VE Omega My10 V6 6Speed
    just read the first few pages and the last page of this thread and didn't see an answer to the fault. My knowledge of this fault is that the charging line from the alternator to the battery has a shoddy factory set up. I had this fault and pulled the alternator through to the battery apart. found there was no split spring washer on the alternator terminal connection. and the crimping on the wiring was shockingly done. replaced burnt wire with same gauge did a solid crimp on the connections and added a split spring washer. fixed it right up.

19. Clayton Milburn

Clayton Milburn New Member

Members Ride:
    1997 VS series II 3.8L V6 ute
    Thanks for the heads up, i just checked then haha

20. YZF600RinOZ

YZF600RinOZ New Member

Members Ride:
    97 VS : Yamaha FZR 1000 : Yamaha YZF 600 R
    I was wondering why I had voltage drop between the Alt and the batt. So had a geez into the black wiring case and found that someone had for reasons unknown had cut and soldered/taped on a smaller wire !
    I've removed the entire wire and replaced with 0 gauge. (Might do the big 3)