Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

1997vs9c1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 9C1 Executive
FML!!

If I seen this 5 weeks ago I would of been right. Mine was this problem. I'n not all up there with mechanical stuff. My battery light had been on and off for a few months and then I noticed my sound system cutting out in portions and within half hour my car stopped. My VS has 189xxx kms on the clock and I just thought my alternator had just packed it in. Went and got a second hand one and off I went. Within a few days same problem again. I left it and thought maybe I had bad luck with the alternator I got and borrowed one off a friend and then same issue again. First thing to think is obviously the wire coming from the alternator. Mine was black and stuffed and pretty much snapped off with barely any force. $3 for cable lugs to fix. Good to see its a common problem and people are made aware of it cause I would be absolutely pissed off if I forked out $200+ for a brand new alternator.

Good work!

robbo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
hey ive just brought a second hand 1995 vr commodore v6 , converted to a manual.. i went to start it this mornin n it wouldnt start , i put the battery on charge till it hit full put it back in but it didnt turn over . only the oil,park,and battery light came up on the dash . i checked all the fuses replaced a few of them even replaced the battery but it wont turn over , any tips on how to get it runnin

robbo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
hey ive just brought a second hand 1995 vr commodore converted to a manual. i went to start it this mornin but it didnt kick over . i checked the fuses . replaced the battery n it still wont start . any tips on how to get it goin

VS-S-PACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S 5 SPEED MANUAL
Thanks mate! i will check this because its done it 3 times and i replaced the battery and its been great since ! ( replaced it the day after it wouldnt start a 3 weeks ago )

gav555666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series 2 HBD limited edition 035
had similar prob with brand new battery going dead within a week,but no flames or nuthin.was just the voltage regulator wiggin out, for most of the time the alternator was throwing out 0 volts then every 10 secs or so would go up to 500 volts..didnt wreck anything except the alternator..lucky

gav555666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series 2 HBD limited edition 035
had that too bud,was the starter..check that

Novarossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8ltr Wagon
Wow, thanks for posting this...Ive brought a VS with 384k on the clock and it looks like they have fixed all of the electric wireing in it...It has thick Top Gun ignition cords and sparkplug leads in it and the wires around the altanator look no more than 12 months old (If that) So i guess the previous owner got onto that before it became any sort of issue.

Thanks for making us aware of that!.

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
Mine too was coming loose. I'm converting to manual at the moment. I had only tightened it a couple of years ago when I change engines.
I have a simple fix. 1 option is to use some loctite/ thread locker and do it up good. Other is add a spring washer to the connection. The "star" type.