Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

sapeter

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Vt Commodore 50th anniversary Edition
I will defintely check mine then, rather be safe then sorry. great info on all this

vr com

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr
I had the same prob with alternater wire that had worn through due to rubbing. One day my gear box suddenly would go into a state of maddness and change really heavily and sometimes hold gears etc. Took it to holden(big mistake!!!i know) they told me to replace gear box. Well anger set in and a couple of days later with a coffe and smoke i took my time and looked over the car propely and found this worn wire was arc-ing onto my block. 10 winds of inso tape and problem solved that was 5 years ago. It's worth a good look yourself at things before holden get there mits on it.

trip01

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs2 berlina 96 3.8 auto hsv plated
Auto elec changed my wire over whilst doing another job. Good man knew about this potential problem...Dave

chili

Reaction score
Had the exact same issue on Xmas Eve(at local shopping centre carpark). It took 5 days to rectify, as the holiday season saw everything closed, so no access to parts etc. Horrendously poor design and fitment IMHO.
As an aside, since fixing this problem the Airbag light on the dash is now illuminated whenever the car is being driven. Is this a common fault also(and if so, what is the solution)???

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

sprayzz

sprayzz
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i had the same problem heading up to townsville about 2am in the morning middle of nowhere the car lost power , i pulled over and the car started to rev on it's own so it didnt stall, so before it over heated i stopped the car and yeah the lead behind the altinator, so fixed it, but obviously my battery was flat , so i had to flag down someone and jump me, luckely i got the nexted car to pass to pull over, at night in the middle of nowere is not very nice, so my advice aswell always check them before a trip and always carrt a self jump starter pack

lpcustom

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive v6
Just had the same problem with my vs v6.

A few days ago I was driving with the aircon on and stereo and the stereo started dying and the air con to, the car then started going like a pig and not shifting gears.
Put another battery, was good for 2 days then same thing.
Checked the battery with a multi meter the alternator wasnt charging, checked the red wire going to the alternator and the nut holding on was loose.
Undid the nut and took off the washers etc and the eye terminal fell off.
The cable and insulation is burnt and the grey plastic insulator between the terminal and the alternator housing just crumbled to pieces.
Changed the terminal and made up an insulator from bake lite, seems ok now and is charging the battery at 14.3 volts.
I think I will have to replace the whole wire with a heavier gauge and better terminals.

Any idea where I can get a new insulator ?

Not very impressed considering this is such a common problem.

Thanks.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I feel ripped off. My VS did this with only 120k on the clock! That said it took 5 minutes to figure out what went wrong, bugger took the alternator with it though.